For almost twenty years, D Acres of New Hampshire has challenged and expanded the common definition of a farm. The Community-Scale Permaculture Farm describes the history of the D Acres project and its evolving principles and practices, which are rooted in the land, its inhabitants, and the joy inherent in collective empowerment.
As an educational center that researches, applies, and teaches skills of sustainable living and small-scale organic farming, D Acres serves more than just a single function to its community. It is a hostel for travelers to northern New England, a training center for everything from metal- and woodworking to cob building and seasonal cooking, a gathering place for music, poetry, joke-telling, and potluck meals, and much more.
While this book provides a wide spectrum of practical information on the physical systems designed into a community-scale homestead, Trought also reviews the economics and organizational particulars that D Acres has experimented with over the years.
The D Acres vision is to usher in a sustainable future by creating a rural community ecology that evolves in perpetuity. From working with oxen to working with a board of directors, no other book contains such a wealth of innovative ideas and ways to make your farm or homestead not only more sustainable, but more inclusive of, and beneficial to, the larger community.
Readers will find information on such subjects as:
- Working with pigs to transform forested landscapes into arable land;
- Designing and building unique, multifunctional farm and community spaces using various techniques and materials;
- Creating and perpetuating diverse revenue streams to keep your farm organization solvent and resilient;
- Receiving maximum benefits and yields for the farm without denigrating resources or the regional ecology;
- Implementing a fair and effective governance structure;
- Constructing everything from solar dehydrators and cookers to treehouses and ponds; and,
- Connecting and partnering with the larger community beyond the farm.
Emphasizing collaboration, cooperation, and mutualism, this book promises to inspire a new generation of growers, builders, educators, artists, and dreamers who are seeking new and practical ways to address today’s problems on a community scale.
Buy this book from Chelsea Green: The Community–Scale Permaculture Farm