Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Cast Iron Discoloration? Options
grandmadiane
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:50:46 AM

Hello! Yes, I'm afraid your cast iron pan probably has rust on it. You need to cure your pans. First, scrub off the rust. Then oil your pans with a paper towel or use Pam or others swear by olive oil. Whatever kind of oil you choose is fine. The first few times I put mine in the oven to cure. I can't remember the temp now but try 350 to 400. Let the pan cure until it turns brown, then oil it again. Do this for a few times , but don't scrub it off. Let the browned (and hopefully blackened someday) pan stay that way. And DON"T wash with soap. Just use hot water. If any food sticks, which it might in the beginning, simply soak for a while and rinse. If you must scrub, do so gently. And you can re-cure it any time it needs it. Some people oil their pans before putting them away. I don't because I use mine frequently. If I was going to be gone from home for a quite a while I might though, just to make sure it didn't get rusty.  Hope this helps. I know that alot of the people on this site use cast iron pans. I'm sure they've got good advice for you too.
Diane
GregB
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:01:30 PM

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the reply. A few clarifying questions...

Scrub out the rust with what? The only thing I can think of would be a steel wool pad (or brush)?? And how will I know when all the rust is gone? Does the pan become silver then rather than the reddish/brownish tint?

So, rust out, oil in. Heat pan in oven at 350 to 400 for a few minutes, take it out, let it cool off...
Then add a little more oil, pan in oven at 350 - 400 for a few minutes again, take it out, let it cool, repeat maybe a couple more times...??

Sorry. At the moment, I'm a cast iron kindergartener, so I need all the hand holding I can get.

Greg

grandmadiane wrote:
Hello! Yes, I'm afraid your cast iron pan probably has rust on it. You need to cure your pans. First, scrub off the rust. Then oil your pans with a paper towel or use Pam or others swear by olive oil. Whatever kind of oil you choose is fine. The first few times I put mine in the oven to cure. I can't remember the temp now but try 350 to 400.

Let the pan cure until it turns brown, then oil it again. Do this for a few times , but don't scrub it off. Let the browned (and hopefully blackened someday) pan stay that way.

grandmadiane
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:30:04 AM

Hello! Here's a site that explain everything to you. It varies a little from what I said, but what the heck, the way I did it seemed to work out OK. Any way, I'm sure this will expain it much better.

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html

Diane
GregB
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:46:20 PM

Much appreciated, Diane. Thank you!

Greg

The Big Lebowski
#5 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2008 3:29:07 PM

Hey Greg, just to let you know I have a couple of cast iron silver dollar pancake pans lying around that I purchased a couple of years ago.

i hadn't seasoned them till yesterday and all I did was to wipe them clean first just using a cloth then all I had for oil was safflower so i used that and into the oven at three hundred degrees for a couple of hours then took it out and wiped it down then several hours later I repeat the process.

this morning i decided to make buckwheat pancakes for me and the boy and the pan performed flawless.
sea_goin_dude
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:54:16 PM

Check out this yahoo group for all the information you might need on cooking with cast iron and dutch ovens etc.All about careing for your cast iron cookware too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dutchovencooking/ 

Lots of recipes too, any kind of cooking you like or any kind of food there too

GregB
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:54:16 PM

Hi everyone,

So, I'm a beginner cast iron user and have two cast iron pans, one of which has got grayish, brownish splotches all over its interior bottom. Is this normal? For some reason, I'm thinking this is a bad sign....Rust??? (Or normal wear?)

Wondering...