When to Plant What: Handy Charts for Garden Planning


| 5/5/2014 3:48:00 PM


There came a killing frost....

So how’s your garden growing? Around here it’s still early, early but we always jump the gun and get out there to plant hoping the weather won’t turn cold, which it did. We lost some 4” tall Basil transplants due to a late season walk about by old Jack Frost. It starts out warm, then gets cool, which is why the tomatoes I buy in April at the Farmer’s Expo here in Kansas City just sit in the ground for a month and don’t start to grow until mid May but I don’t ever seem to learn that lesson.

So when will you be safe to plant without a frost? There is a great tool at Dave’s Garden that allows you to enter zip code and voila, for my area a chart like this pops out:

 



The chart above indicates that on March 24th there is a 90% chance of a frost but by April 21st there is only a 10% chance of frost.





Subscribe Today - Pay Now & Save 64% Off the Cover Price

Money-Saving Tips in Every Issue!

Mother Earth NewsAt MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).

You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.

Canadian Subscribers - Click Here
International Subscribers - Click Here
Canadian subscriptions: 1 year (includes postage & GST).


Facebook Pinterest Instagram YouTube Twitter flipboard
Free Product Information Classifieds

}