Sensory bottles are a new take on the old favorite baby rattle. The interesting colors and shapes will excite and delight your child.
It’s important to make sure the bottle's lid can’t be removed because the small items that spark your baby's interest may also look like tasty morsels.
Photo by Fotolia/Mint Foto
In The No-Nonsense Guide to Green Parenting (Green Books, 2016) author Kate Blincoe explains that it’s not about being perfect — it’s about giving it a try, feeling the benefits for your family, and having fun while you do it. This guide provides essential advice on food and eating, eco-buying, learning and playing, family-friendly foraging, growing plants and food with your family, green days out, activities and parties, green parenting in the city, and balancing your green ideals in a busy life. Kate’s pragmatic approach will inspire you to balance green living with the realities of raising children. In this excerpt you will learn to create a delightful toy to pique your infant’s interest.
Clear-plastic water bottles filled with different household objects will intrigue and delight your little one. Aim for a mix of sounds and colors for maximum impact.
You will need:
• 4 or so clear-plastic bottles – the small 250-ml or 330-ml ones are ideal for little hands.
• A few of these items: buttons, pebbles, dried beans, dry rice, beads, tin foil, water, food coloring, washing-up liquid, baby oil, golden syrup, pipe cleaners, cut-up drinking straws,
• Sand gaffer tape.
1. Simply fill each bottle with a variety of objects, such as tin-foil balls, water and blue food coloring; or pipe cleaners and dried beans; or golden syrup, baby oil, water and red food coloring.
2. For best results, leave at least a third of the bottle empty so it can all swish around.
3. Seal the bottle carefully, using gaffer tape over the lid.
Reprinted with permission from The No-Nonsense Guide to Green Parenting by Kate Blincoe and published by Green Books, 2016.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE