That smelly, gooey, blue-green film that blankets the water in the late summer not only looks gross, but it could also endanger your health. Blue-green algae blooms can release toxins that once get ingested, inhaled or rubbed against the skin can lead to diarrhea, vomiting and skin rashes - persistent exposure can lead to more serious health problems. These same toxins have been known to make pets sick and cause massive kills of fish and other sea life such as dolphins, sea turtles, sea lions, manatees and birds.
Viewer Tip: Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself, your family and your pets from the harmful effects of algal blooms.
For more weather and environment tips, visit Earth Gauge!
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, hands-on workshops, and great food!LEARN MORE