Renewable Energy

It's all about energy, from renewable sources to energy-efficient usage.

Does Your Electric Utility Offer a Green Power Option?

9/1/2009 10:45:03 AM

Tags: green power, renewable energy, electricity, maps, question to readers

Green electric plugMany of our readers are interested in renewable energy, and for some of you there’s a simple and easy way to get your electricity from renewable sources — many utilities offer a green power option.

If you’re looking for more information on green power in the United States, the U.S. Department of Energy has some helpful information about green power programs, including a map and chart showing where they’re offered.

We’d like to hear more about your experiences with green power. Is it available where you live? How does the price compare to what you would otherwise pay for electricity? Why have you — or haven’t you — chosen this option? You can share your thoughts by posting a comment below.

Photo by Istockphoto/Nicholas Homrich

Geothermal Electricity Picks up Steam

We have the power! If geothermal resources were tapped across the United States, they could provide ...

What’s the Average Cost to Install a Solar-Electric System to Power Your Home?

Here’s advice from a renewable energy expert about what you can expect to pay for a solar-electric s...

Mulch Madness: Environmentally Friendly Mulch Options

A good layer of environmentally friendly mulch such as eucalyptus, pine bark or cocoa hulls will dis...

The Right Generator for Emergency Power

How to find the right emergency power generator.

thomasconsidince
5/19/2014 4:55:06 AM
That's actually what I was thinking too. It is nice to read such post that gives so much information. Thanks for the share. -http://socialformula.com/youtube/packages http://socialformula.com/

Brenda Colpetzer
9/8/2009 7:57:24 AM
I live in Central Pennsylvania and our power company has a renewable energy program for $2.00 per 100 kWh that is only .02 cents a kwh extra. My husband and I signed up to buy 500 kwh per month. And are thinking of doing another 100kwh, to match our usage. We use about 650 kwh per month. We live in a 2112 sq ft home and pay attention to our usage. But dont go without lights. When the green option came to our area all I heard from others is, another increase no thank you and how their light bill is all ready high enough. They cant afford to live as it is. They enjoy dining out several times a week, their cigarettes and alcohol, Because they say they deserve a break. Just one less take out a month would more than pay for buying some green power. And they also are the same people who leave their outside lights on 24 hours a day. Leaves lights on in every room day and night. And don't even try to cut back on their usage. We all need to set our priorities and cut back where we can and buy renewable when available. We all need to stop justifying our spending endlessly on lazy creature comforts and start doing our part on necessities (power)

Darren Mehler
9/7/2009 7:49:00 PM
In south-west Wyoming we can buy renewable energy but at 3 times the price we are already paying, so what is the point in buying green? Why pay more for something that is free to begin with. If someone has real honest answers to this, I would like to hear from you. I am sure many people like myself would like to use clean and renewable energy, but with the economy the way it has been who can afford $100k or more for a wind generator or solar power or both? I believe going green would benefit everyone, but if it means I have to take out a second mortgage where is the savings? I would like to hear from anyone who has a solution to this problem at chewy864@wyoming.com.

goldfishcastle
9/6/2009 8:17:56 PM
NorthWestern Energy in Montana has a very well hidden program that is very inexpensive to the customer. $2 per 100 kw hours, sold in those increments. I purchase two units, for a total of $4 per month for 200 kw/hrs of green electricity. I've gotten my usage down to about 100 kw/hrs per month, but I still pay for double that in green. I feel like it's a donation for my neighbor or anyone else who has their head stuck in the sand. :)

nick g
9/4/2009 10:43:00 AM
I live in Jersey City, NY and I recently signed up for 100% "green" power. I had three choices, from three different companies, which offered a varying percentage of my electricity to be powered by renewable sources. I chose the option which provides 100% renewable energy for 100% of my usage. I think it is 50% wind, 49% small hydro, 1% solar. I still pay and deal with the same utility provider as always, but they buy the amount I use from the company I chose. I am paying 2 cents extra for each kilowatt hour (kwh) Some programs offer renewable energy in "chunks" of say 100kwh, others like mine, do it by percentage of total monthly use. While I would recommend signing up for green power, I would strongly recommend doing some efficiency improvements in your home also. Depending on the improvements, this could easily save you as much or more as the extra you will be paying. For great tips on no-cost and low-cost household efficiency improvements, visit: The Alliance to Save Energy http://ase.org/content/article/detail/965 or The American Council for and Energy-Efficient Economy http://aceee.org/consumerguide/checklist.htm

Tony Delgado_1
9/4/2009 10:25:00 AM
Stream Energy in Texas offers a green and clean plan and it is only a minimal amount more than regularly produced energy. You can purchase Stream Energy through a network of independent Ignite agents. I am an Ignite agent but I cannot advertise my website. If you live in Texas locate an indepentent Ignite agent. You can go to streamenergy.com and see if you can locate one near you. Regards Tony Delgado 512-431-9411

B Knight
9/4/2009 8:49:44 AM
Ontario has one of the best feed-in tariff rates in the world. http://ontariosolarfarms.com/feed-in-tariff.html You can install up to 10kW of solar power and get paid 80.2 cents for every kilowatt hour (kwh). Not only are you adding to "green power", but you are adding to your pocket book.

MC_2
9/2/2009 7:51:23 AM
I haven't done it yet because the price difference is significant-- more than we can sustain in a old, uninsulated structure. I've chosen to focus instead on achieving the greatest energy austerity we can sustain and saving up to make a full green rebuild/remodel. Selling out to someone who either doesn't care or has the resources to fix it faster, moving 80 miles, building an off-grid earth shelter on 5-10 extremely rural acres, and trading the ratrace for 18 hours a day of backbreaking labor a la The Good Life wouldn't be bad either. From my pov anyway. Too bad dh doesn't concur.