Recipes from the Root Cellar, which is a collection that features winter vegetables.
• 2 tbsp chicken fat or olive oil
• 1 small head green or savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (6 to 8 cups)
• 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 6 cups chicken broth
• 8 ounces thin-skinned potatoes (unpeeled), diced
• 8 ounces Spanish chorizo; andouille; or other full-flavored, fully cooked sausage, thinly sliced
• 2 cups cooked white cannellini beans, or 1 19-ounce can, rinsed and drained
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Melt the chicken fat in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the cabbage and onion and sauté until they begin to color, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the broth, potatoes, and sausage.
4. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the beans and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Try these other soups with vegetables and read about making homemade chicken broth:
Andrea Chesman cooks, writes, and teaches in Vermont, where she lives on a 1-acre homestead. Find her books Recipes from the Root Cellar and The Backyard Homestead Book of Kitchen Know-How.