Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Welcome to the Gluten-Free Foods and Recipes Blog!

3/18/2011 3:31:10 PM

Tags: Gluten Free, Gluten Free Diet, Wendy Gregory Kaho

Welcome to the Gluten-Free Foods and Recipes blog. I’m excited to share the world of gluten-free eating with the readers of MOTHER EARTH NEWS. The gluten-free diet can mean many things to many people. It is not a one-size fits all diet. By that I mean that there are medically diagnosed people with the autoimmune disease, celiac disease, as well as those who have been told by doctors that they are gluten-intolerant, or gluten-sensitive. There are others avoiding gluten for the positive health effects on inflammatory diseases like arthritis or the change in behaviors of a child with autism or even learning challenges. There are also differences in what individuals can tolerate. There are some who also avoid dairy, soy, or even rice flour. There are gluten-free vegans and vegetarians. Within my own home, there are three celiacs and one gluten-intolerant and we each have other food sensitivities and symptoms that are varied.

I have invited gluten-free friends to join me here to share their recipes, their gluten-free lifestyle tips and tricks to represent all the ways to live gluten free. It’s not just about avoiding the gluten in wheat, rye and barley and their cousins like spelt, kamut, or grains contaminated in harvesting and processing like oats. The one thing we all have in common is the gluten-free journey has led us to eat whole, naturally gluten-free foods and to avoid most processed foods.  Each week will have a topic or theme and gluten-free cookbook authors and bloggers will join me with their recipes and approaches. We welcome questions, suggestions and even your recipes and tips. Once a month I will feature a reader’s recipe and tips we receive. The best way to live a safe and joyful gluten-free life is to surround oneself with supportive friends who understand a gluten-free life. My friends and I hope to create that here.

Soon I will feature a book review and tips on how to use the Internet to enhance a gluten-free life with the best resources for news and research to keep you safe and up-to-date in the gluten-free world.

Warming Gluten-Free Recipes

These warming winter recipes from Eating Well magazine are made with whole grains – delicious gluten...

Freekeh Foods Debuts Organic Freekeh Line

Delicious Roasted Grain is Kosher, Naturally Vegan, Made in the USA and Now Certified Organic

Gluten-Free Breakfast Muffins

Gluten-free muffin recipes to get your morning started.

Gluten-Free Breakfast Ideas

Recipes for satisfying gluten-free breakfasts.

GAIL WHITE
8/13/2012 3:33:12 PM
I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for over a year now. I feel so much better, migraines are gone, misdiagnoses of diabetes, depression, and thyroid problems are now medication free. I happy to see another site where I trust the author.

nicola @ gfreemom
3/23/2011 12:59:00 AM
I can only reiterate excitement about this MEN/Wendy collaboration. This is such a wonderful way of informing an ever growing gluten-free population. Thank you!

Wendy Gregory Kaho
3/22/2011 7:08:03 AM
Thanks to all my gluten-free friends for your warm welcome and support. And thanks to Mother Earth News for the opportunity to increase awareness and share recipes and tips for those on the gluten-free path.

Melissa, GlutenFreeForGood
3/21/2011 9:59:28 PM
I love this. It's great when publications like MEN jump on the gluten-free bandwagon! Thanks Wendy, for sharing your expertise with the rest of us.

Heidi @Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom
3/21/2011 1:10:11 PM
Thank you MEN for adding such a wonderful gluten-free resource to your lineup of informative topics! I can't think of a better person to spearhead this new blog on gluten-free living than my friend Wendy Kaho, she is a tireless crusader and a wealth of information for the gluten-free community.

Tia - Glugle Gluten-Free
3/20/2011 7:51:57 PM
How wonderfully exciting to see a gluten-free blog on Mother Earth News! And to have Wendy running it is even more exciting. She is a fabulous blogger and a wonderful person. She will be a great addition to MEN. I can't wait to read more.

Cheryl Harris
3/20/2011 11:31:51 AM
Wendy, how lovely to see you expanding to a wider audience! You have so much wisdom to share and I know this will be a fantastic resource for the gluten free/celiac community.

Tina (madame gluten-free vegetarian)
3/20/2011 10:11:52 AM
Congratulations to Wendy and MEN! I look forward to learning from you and am so happy that gluten sensitivity is getting more exposure. Here's to many posts that help us to lead happy, healthy, gluten-free lives. :) Tina.

Gluten Free Diva
3/19/2011 11:48:15 AM
Congrats to MEN and Wendy Kaho for creating what I know will be a thorough resource for those needing (or wanting) to follow a gluten free lifestyle. With the huge amount of data about eating gluten free that has begun circulating on the internet (and can sometimes be dizzying), you are providing a place where people can come for reliable information. Kudos to MEN for recognizing the need for this depository of information AND for recognizing Wendy Kaho as the ideal person to help shepherd and deliver it.

Kim (Cook It Allergy Free)
3/19/2011 10:23:24 AM
This is so exciting that Mother Earth News is helping to bring awareness to eating gluten free with whole natural foods. I have followed MEN for a long time and I am thrilled that they have now dedicated an entire blog to living and eating well, gluten free! I have also followed Wendy Kaho's blog for so long and think she is the perfect person for this. Thank you MEN and thank you Wendy. I am so looking forward to following along.

Shirley @ gfe
3/18/2011 7:46:17 PM
How terrific it is to see Mother Earth News launching a gluten-free blog focused on spreading awareness and living gluten free using whole foods! MEN has long been respected for the best info in so many areas that best serve us and our planet, so it makes sense to add great gluten-free info to the mix. Wendy Kaho is an outstanding choice to lead this collaborative effort. I can't wait to see all that unfolds here and also share when I can. Again, bravo MEN! Shirley Braden

Amy Green
3/18/2011 7:42:38 PM
Congrats, Wendy! What a fabulous way to help raise awareness for Celiac Disease, gluten-intolerance, and wheat allergies. It's so important for those of us who need to eat gluten-free to help those who are just starting on the journey. I'm grateful that Mother Earth News has seen the importance of this, too.

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free
3/18/2011 5:35:19 PM
I am so excited about this, I look forward to the posts to follow and I wish you great luck with this endeavour. Thank you Wendy and MEN for helping to raise awarness of Celiac and gluten intolerance.