• 1-1/2 cups onions, chopped
• 5 large cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 to 2 chilies, minced
• 1 medium sweet pepper, minced
• 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
• 1/2 tsp oregano, fresh or dried
• 1 pound chicken breast, cubed (optional)
• 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
• 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
• 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
• 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
• Sea salt and freshly grated pepper
• Monterey Jack cheese, grated
• Tortilla chips, crumbled
• Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
1. In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in oil until translucent.
2. Add peppers, cumin, oregano and chicken (if desired). Sauté until chicken is browned, or about 10 minutes if making a vegetarian soup.
3. Add tomatoes, cooking over medium heat until they release their juices.
4. Add stock and corn kernels. Simmer 15 minutes.
5. Add lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, and cilantro or parsley.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.
Pay Now & Save 67% Off the Cover Price
Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites :
Community Chickens •
Good Things to Eat •
Utne AltWire •
Keeping Backyard Bees