Make this Tomato Tortilla Soup Recipe using basic kitchen staples and fresh produce to create a delicious, warming winter soup.
This Tomato Tortilla Soup Recipe will make a savory and satisfying winter soup.
Tomato Tortilla Soup Recipe
11/2 cups onions, chopped
5 large cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 to 2 chilies, minced
1 medium sweet pepper, minced
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1/2 tsp oregano, fresh or dried
1 pound chicken breast, cubed (optional)
4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Sea salt and freshly grated pepper
Monterey Jack cheese, grated
Tortilla chips, crumbled
Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
1. In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in oil until translucent.
2. Add peppers, cumin, oregano and chicken (if desired). Sauté until chicken is browned, or about 10 minutes if making a vegetarian soup.
3. Add tomatoes, cooking over medium heat until they release their juices.
4. Add stock and corn kernels. Simmer 15 minutes.
5. Add lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, and cilantro or parsley. Serves 5.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.