When summer time is in full swing and the tomatoes hang gloriously ripened on their strong green vines, nothing is more pleasing to the palette than a simple and refreshing dish. This one makes use of those little red beauties, as well as the intoxicatingly sweet herb, basil.
Companion plants by nature, it is no wonder the two pair so deliciously in the kitchen. I often make this bruschetta as a light lunch for one, but it could easily be doubled for a couple or for an appetizer. Make and delight in its seasonally fresh flavors.
• One large tomato, or two small
• Eight basil leaves
• Minced garlic, to taste
• Salt, to taste
• Olive oil, for drizzling
• Five slices French bread
1. While bread is toasting, dice tomato and set aside.
2. Place basil leaves on top of one other and roll them horizontally starting at one end. Then, slice vertically. A simple rough chop is also perfectly acceptable, if easier.
3. Layer tomatoes on toasted bread. Sprinkle on basil.
4. Season generously with minced garlic and salt, to taste.
5. Drizzle on plenty of good olive oil and serve.
All MOTHER EARTH NEWS community bloggers have agreed to follow our Blogging Guidelines, and they are responsible for the accuracy of their posts. To learn more about the author of this post, click on their byline link at the top of the page.
With more than 150 workshops, there is no shortage of informative demonstrations and lectures to educate and entertain you over the weekend.LEARN MORE