• 3 large sweet potatoes, enough to make 3 cups after baking
• 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), divided
• 2⁄3 cup plus 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, divided
• 5 large eggs
• 2 tbsp vanilla extract
• 1⁄2 cup milk
• 1 tsp nutmeg
• 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
• 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1⁄2 tsp salt
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 1 pint heavy cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Bake the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet for 1 hour or until very soft.
3. Cool them enough to peel.
4. Grease a 2-quart ceramic or glass baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter, and melt the rest in a small pan.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked sweet potato, 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, spices, salt, and 3 tablespoons of the melted butter.
6. Purée until smooth with a food processor, a mixer, or a food mill.
7. Pour into the baking dish and bake until the edges are puffed up and the center is starting to set, 30 to 35 minutes.
8. Mix the remaining 1⁄2 cup of brown sugar, the remaining 4 tablespoons of melted butter, and the pecans.
9. Sprinkle over the top of the pudding.
10. Bake for 30 minutes more, or until the center has solidified and risen.
11. Serve your sweet potato pudding warm, and pass cream in a small pitcher, if desired.
Try these healthy sweet potato recipes with shallots and learn more about cooking sweet potatoes: