• 7 cups vegetable or chicken stock
• 8 ears fresh corn on the cob, shucked
• 1 medium carrot, grated
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
• 2 tbsp vegetable or organic canola oil
• 2/3 cup raw cashews
• 1/2 cup dry sherry
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
• Fresh parsley or cilantro, minced
1. In a heavy pot, bring stock to a boil. Add ears of corn and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Remove corn and set aside to cool. Cut kernels off cobs. Then use the back of your knife to scrape the “milk” off the cobs into the stock.
3. In a skillet, sauté carrot, onion, garlic and green pepper in the oil until soft.
4. Blend corn kernels, cashews and sherry in a food processor with enough stock to help purée the mixture. (For more texture, save some ingredients from the food processor, and add directly to stock.)
5. Add purée to soup pot, and bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with red pepper and parsley.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS is the guide to living — as one reader stated — “with little money and abundant happiness.” Every issue is an invaluable guide to leading a more sustainable life, covering ideas from fighting rising energy costs and protecting the environment to avoiding unnecessary spending on processed food. You’ll find tips for slashing heating bills; growing fresh, natural produce at home; and more. MOTHER EARTH NEWS helps you cut costs without sacrificing modern luxuries.
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet’s natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. That’s why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.00 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.00 for 6 issues.
Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites :
Great Green Careers •
Community Chickens •
Good Things to Eat •