Sweet Corn and Red Pepper Soup Recipe
• 7 cups vegetable or chicken stock
• 8 ears fresh corn on the cob, shucked
• 1 medium carrot, grated
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
• 2 tbsp vegetable or organic canola oil
• 2/3 cup raw cashews
• 1/2 cup dry sherry
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
• Fresh parsley or cilantro, minced
1. In a heavy pot, bring stock to a boil. Add ears of corn and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Remove corn and set aside to cool. Cut kernels off cobs. Then use the back of your knife to scrape the “milk” off the cobs into the stock.
3. In a skillet, sauté carrot, onion, garlic and green pepper in the oil until soft.
4. Blend corn kernels, cashews and sherry in a food processor with enough stock to help purée the mixture. (For more texture, save some ingredients from the food processor, and add directly to stock.)
5. Add purée to soup pot, and bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with red pepper and parsley.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.