This Squash and Black Bean Chili Recipe is a healthy and delicious chili made with beans and Buttercup squash straight from the garden.
Try this Squash and Black Bean Chili Recipe for a healthy take on chili made with beans and Buttercup squash you can grow right in the garden.
Squash and Black Bean Chili Recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 cups tomatoes, chopped (reserve juice)
2 cups 'Buttercup' or 'Butternut' squash, pared and diced
2 cups cooked black beans
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons fat-leaf parsley
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large, heavy pot.
2. Add onions, garlic and peppers. Cook for 10 minutes until vegetables have wilted.
3. Add the spices; cook 1 minute, stirring to coat vegetables well.
4. Add chopped tomatoes with their juices, red wine and squash. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
5. Add cooked beans. Cook 10 minutes more. Before serving, garnish with cilantro and parsley.
Read more about Cherokee Purple tomatoes and other MOTHER reader favorite varieties: Favorite Crop Varieties: Buttercup Squash, Cherokee Purple Tomato and Jimenez Beans.