Author, and creator of London Farmer’s Market, Nina Planck provides 150 recipes that reflect her background in The Real Food Cookbook (Bloomsbury, 2014). A farmer’s daughter and former vegetarian, Planck uses timeless ingredients and classic cooking methods that reflect her journey to traditional foods. The excerpt that follows, from “Center of the Plate,” is for a hearty chicken stroganoff recipe.
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: The Real Food Cookbook.
Here’s a velvety cover for egg noodles or a dish on its own. Shallots are finer, milder, and sweeter than onions. Chardonnay leaves a nice residual sugar as it reduces. Something more dry—a typical sauvignon blanc—will leave more tang in the dish. Use more or less chicken stock, depending on how thick you like it, but please don’t stint on the dill.
White Chicken Stroganoff Recipe With Dill
• 1 large chicken
• 2–3 shallots or 1 onion
• 1 large bunch of dill
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1/4 c olive oil
• 1/2 c dry white wine
• 1 1/2 c sour cream or crème fraîche
• 1/2−1 c chicken stock
• salt and pepper
1. Poach the chicken. Drain it, reserving the stock. Reduce it further, by about half.
2. Shred the chicken meat.
3. Dice the shallots or slice the onion long and thin.
4. Chop the dill to yield a generous cup.
5. Mince the garlic or smash it in a garlic press.
6. Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the shallots or onion and sauté them until they are half-soft.
7. Add the garlic.
8. Add the wine and reduce the liquid until most of it is gone.
9. Add the shredded chicken and the chopped dill, reserving a bit of dill for a garnish. Stir briefly to coat.
10. Add the sour cream or crème fraîche. Stir well and thin with chicken stock to taste.
11. Simmer for about 5 minutes and then let it stand.
12. Season and top with the reserved dill.
Find more recipes and tips from The Real Food Cookbook in How to Think Like a Chef.
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from The Real Food Cookbook: Traditional Dishes for Modern Cooks by Nina Planck and published by Bloomsbury, 2014. Purchase this book from our store: The Real Food Cookbook.