Dogs are always ready for dinner, so feel good about what you feed man’s best friend. Dinner for Dogs (The Experiment, 2012) allows you to do just that. Author and devoted dog lover Henrietta Morrison dishes out 50 tasty, nutritious and easy-to-make recipes to ensure our dogs eat the same quality of food as we do throughout their lives. The following excerpt from “Tasty Treats” is for a Spelt and Sunflower Dog Treat Recipe.
Purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Dinner for Dogs.
These are good chunky treats to take with you on walks. They won’t crumble in your pocket and they contain lots of healthy oils. If your dog is wheat-intolerant, spelt flour may be a good alternative; although it is a form of wheat, it is a variety that dogs are less likely to have a problem with.
Spelt and Sunflower Dog Treat Recipe
• Vegetable oil for greasing
• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons (50 g) raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
• 1-2/3 cups (200 g) spelt flour
• 1-1/4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
• 6-1/4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
• 2/3 cup (150 ml) water or milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. Roughly chop the sunflower seeds using either a knife or a mortar and pestle. Put the seeds into a bowl with all the other ingredients and mix everything together.
3. Take a small amount of the dough, roll it into a ball the size of a golf ball and place it onto the prepared cookie sheet. When your cookie sheet is full of small balls, press your thumb into the middle of each one to flatten slightly. Bake for 30 minutes until cooked through.
4. Transfer the treats from the oven onto a cooling rack and allow to cool. They will keep in a sealed container for up to a week.
Per 4 ounces (100 g):
Want more healthy treat options for your furry friend? Read Healthy Homemade Dog Treats for more recipes.
Excerpt from Dinner For Dogs: 50 Home-Cooked Recipes for a Happy, Healthy Dog, copyright © Henrietta Morrison, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. Purchase this book from our store: Dinner for Dogs.