This Egyptian Rice Recipe is topped off with caramelized onions and toasted pine nuts.
Egyptian Rice is delicious served with some steamed spinach.
Photo By Myles New
Perfect for the busy home cook, Rose Elliot's 30-Minute Vegetarian (Sterling Publishing, 2013), offers quick meals from Britain's reigning queen of vegetarian cuisine. Featuring 140 vegetarian recipes that take only an hour or less to prepare, this beautifully photographed book presents classic meals such as Macaroni and Cheese and Bean Burgers, along with an array of updated and modern dishes. Elliot's helpful tips, time-tested advice, and fail-safe recipes have delighted fans for 40 years, and this collection will, too. The Egyptian Rice Recipe below comes from the section, “Everyday Suppers.”
This is easy to make, nourishing and tasty. It’s delicious served with some steamed spinach.
Serves 4, Vegan
1 cup (7 oz) brown basmati rice, rinsed
2 1/4 cups (18 fl oz) water
4 onions, sliced into thin rings
2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp ground cilantro
2 x 14 oz cans Puy or green lentils, drained
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup (2 oz) pine nuts, toasted, to serve
4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
1. Put the rice into a pan with the water, bring to a boil, then cover and leave to cook very gently for 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and the water absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, fry the onions gently in the oil until they are golden brown and slightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Remove half the onions from the pan and set aside, keeping them warm.
3. Add the garlic, cumin, and cilantro to the remaining onions in the pan, along with the drained lentils, and cook over a low heat, stirring from time to time.
4. Stir the cooked rice gently with a fork, then add this to the pan with the onions and spices, and stir until everything is mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the rice and lentils on one large or 4 individual warm plates; pile the reserved onions on top and garnish with the toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.
Read more from Rose Elliot’s 30-Minute Vegetarian:
Couscous Salad Recipe With Lime-Roasted Sweet Potato
Vietnamese Spring Roll Recipe With Balsamic Reduction
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Rose Elliot’s 30-Minute Vegetarian © 2013 by Rose Elliot, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Discover a dazzling array of workshops and lectures designed to get you further down the path to independence and self-reliance.LEARN MORE