Dogs are always ready for dinner, so feel good about what you feed man’s best friend. Dinner for Dogs (The Experiment, 2012) allows you to do just that. Author and devoted dog lover Henrietta Morrison dishes out 50 tasty, nutritious and easy-to-make recipes to ensure our dogs eat the same quality of food as we do throughout their lives. The following excerpted dog treat recipe from “Tasty Treats” is for a batch of meal replacement bars.
Purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Dinner for Dogs.
These are a great addition to your pet’s pantry. They are handy to take on a long journey if there hasn’t been time for breakfast (or supper) and you know you aren’t going to be home to scoop out some food for your dog. They are also good as a big treat if you’re on a long walk and dinner seems like a long way off.
This recipe makes about eight bars. Lily, who weighs 26 pounds (12 kg), will have two of them as an emergency meal replacement or one as a big treat.
Meal Replacement Bars Recipe
• Vegetable oil for greasing
• 2-1/2 cups (200 g) old-fashioned oats
• 2-1/2 tablespoons honey
• 1/4 cup (50 g) grated Cheddar cheese
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) sunflower oil
• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or rosemary
• 1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Lightly grease an 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan.
2. Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan. Cook over low heat for a couple of minutes, stirring so the cheese doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
3. Smooth down the mixture firmly using the back of a wooden spoon. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before cutting into 8 equal bars. Let cool completely in the pan. The bars will keep in an airtight container for 10 days in the fridge.
Per 4 ounces (100 g):
Want more healthy treat options for your furry friend? Read Healthy Homemade Dog Treats for more recipes.
Excerpt from Dinner For Dogs: 50 Home-Cooked Recipes for a Happy, Healthy Dog, copyright © Henrietta Morrison, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. Purchase this book from our store: Dinner for Dogs.