Tasting the Seasons (Artichoke Publishers, 2014), by Kerry Dunnington, offers an innovative approach to seasonal cooking, with recipes to interest cooking aficionados and beginners alike. Commentary that informs and inspires a sustainable approach to home cuisine and entertaining accompanies the dozens of flavorful recipes Dunnington has included, creating an eco-friendly, all-occasion cookbook.
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Tasting the Seasons.
I would be remiss if I didn’t pay tribute to my grandparents by featuring this unusual, tasty recipe that has been in my family for generations. The meal was (and still is) fondly known as The Boiled Dinner. It’s a wonderfully simple combination of dinosaur kale, potatoes, hard-boiled eggs and bacon that is customarily chopped and mixed with a knife and fork by each individual diner.
• 8 eggs
• 4 medium potatoes, quartered (peeling is a matter of preference)
• 1 pound dinosaur kale, washed, inner rib removed
• 12 slices of bacon
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 4 tablespoons sugar
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add eggs and cook for about 15 minutes.
2. Transfer cooked eggs to a bowl; refill the pot with water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes or until fork-tender.
3. Fill a large pot half full with water and bring to a boil. Add kale and cook until tender.
4. When eggs are cool enough to handle, peel off shells.
5. Drain potato water and transfer potatoes to a covered dish to keep warm.
6. Fry bacon until crispy. Pour excess bacon fat from pan.
7. Add apple cider vinegar and sugar to the still-warm bacon pan. Stir until mixture is combined and sugar has dissolved; season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
8. Evenly distribute kale into four wide, shallow bowls. Top kale with one potato (4 quarters), two eggs and three slices of bacon. Drizzle warm dressing over the mixture. Serve immediately.
More from Tasting the Seasons:
Reprinted with permission from Tasting the Seasons: Inspired, In-Season Cuisine That’s Easy, Healthy, Fresh and Fun by Kerry Dunnington and published by Artichoke Publishers, 2014. Buy this book from our store: Tasting the Seasons.