Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Recipes Wanted: Quick and Easy One Pot Meals

7/7/2009 12:07:09 PM

Tags: recipes, easy recipes, question to readers

One Pot Meal

If time is of the essence, sometimes a one-pot meal is all we can manage to scrounge up. It happens to the best of us. But quick and simple doesn't have to mean bland and generic — or expensive, unhealthy and ordered out — now does it? Plus, the beauty of one-pot meals is that they usually can be prepared in advance. That way, you can do the prep work when you have the time, and skip being chained to the stove when you don't.

If you have recipes for easy one-pot meals (or crockpot/slow-cooker, pressure cooker and casserole recipes ... that sorta thing), please share them below. A home-cooked meal is almost always cheaper and healthier than takeout, so just think of all the families you'll be supporting with your fab recipes!

Never heard of a one-pot meal? Check out this slew of crockpot recipes.

Here's one I want to try soon: Vegetarian Crockpot Stuffed Zucchini. Doesn't sound bland to me!

Photo by Viktor Fischer/ISTOCKPHOTO.COM

Homemade Butter and Buttermilk Recipes Wanted

Share your fresh butter and buttermilk recipes.

Seasonal Recipes for May Wanted

Share your spring seasonal recipes for the month of May.

Announcing the CanCooker Jr.

The CanCooker Jr. is the perfect portable convection oven for smaller gatherings.

Make a Table in an Afternoon

With inexpensive or repurposed wood, you can build a small table using basic tools.

Shannon Buck
11/3/2010 10:14:06 PM
Leftover Ham: One Pan Meal Add other leftovers to your liking. Ingredients: ham, diced potato, diced peas 1. Cook the potatoes until almost done then add ham and peas. 2. Warm and serve. Other Ingredient Options: * corn * green beans * carrots * onions Good Served With: * Biscuits and butter * Leftover quick bread * Milk Happy Eating! Shannon You will find more one pan meal recipes on the Frugal Recipes blog. http://frugalrecipes.wordpress.com

Jessie_10
6/8/2010 4:01:24 PM
Rice Cooker Recipe: Add rice, salt, oil, and water to your rice cooker in the normal proportions. Add to the pot just about any root vegetable (including onion and/or garlic!) to the cooker (carrots are my favorite). For some protein add chickpeas to the cooker just before its done. If you like soft veggies add them at the start; if you like some crunch give the rice 10-15 minutes head start. If you have a steamer that fits on top of the rice cooker you're in luck! Toss on some broccoli, brussel sprouts, or green beans. I highly recommend adding peanut oil to brown rice, it adds so much flavor!

Bill Fields_2
2/12/2010 10:14:31 AM
My heritage is Italian. Pasta Fagioli (say fah-zool) is a macaroni and bean dish sometimes served as a soup, sometimes eaten as a hearty pasta dish. This version is simplicity itself. 2 14oz. cans of chicken broth 1 14oz. can of white beans, canneloni, northern, navy, whatever you have in the pantry 1 14oz. can diced or crushed tomatoes 1 teaspoon oregano 1 teaspoon basil 1 or 2 cloves of garlic chopped fine fresh ground black pepper to taste 1 cup of small pasta such as tubetti, orzo, ditalini, elbows Boil chicken broth and cook pasta in the broth according to directions. When pasta is close to done, add beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Serve hot with freshly ground parmesan See pictures of this and other Italian specialties on my website: www.2soaringhearts.com

Sydney Elizabeth
9/23/2009 8:19:48 AM
I have a wonderful dish that takes only five ingredients. Italian Sausage Bow Tie Pasta Mild ground Italian sausage 5-6 cups chicken broth (or stock) 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley 1 tsp. ground black pepper 1 box bow tie pasta Brown Italian sausage in a stock pot and drain off the grease. Return to the stock pot. Add chicken broth (more if you want it soupy, less if you want it more like a pasta dish)and bring to a boil. Add the bow tie pasta and boil according to directions on the box. Add black pepper and fresh parsley before serving. Serve with a crusty bread.

Chris_57
8/17/2009 4:30:25 PM
Here's an quick meal I've made quite often (amounts are for 1 serving): Left-over rice (1 cup) Diced red onion, carrot, cucumber and any other additional veggies you like. (~1 cup total) Cooked or canned black beans - rinsed and drained (1/2 cup) Balsamic Vinegarette dressing (2 Tbsp and adjust to taste) Salt and Pepper to taste Mix all items together. You can eat either cold, room temp or hot - your choice. Fast and Easy!

The Herbangardener
8/13/2009 11:34:41 AM
I've posted my delicious recipe for ZUCCHINI PARMESAN on my website: http://herbangardener.com/2009/08/12/eat-well-for-pennies-zucchini-parmesan/ I hope you enjoy it! It's one of my favorite quick summertime meals. Lindsey @ The Herbangardener www.herbangardener.com

Conan Carter
7/20/2009 12:49:07 PM
Here is my favorite. There are varieties of this floating around firehalls and ambulance services throughout the US, but this is the basic I learned. It is called 7 Can Soup. 1 lb of ground beef or meat of choice 1 small onion chopped 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup 1 can of whole corn 1 can of Veg-All 1 can of chilli with beans 1 can of chilli without beans 1 can of diced or chunk tomatoes 1 can of kidney beans Brown the meat with the onion. Add it to your crock pot with the entire contents of each can (all the liquid). Stir well and season to taste. Turn your crock pot on low and get ready for an excellent meal that night. In the summer, we substitute fresh veggies. You do have to add extra water for this sometimes. Also, add diced japelinos, or add a can of Rotel tomatoes to spice things up. The options are limitless. So for your next cold winter night, warm up to a bowl of this soup and some cornbread for a deliscious meal.

Joodleloo_2
7/18/2009 11:07:52 AM
We make our own version of chicken picata. Pound a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts till very flat. Cut into smaller portions. It makes them easier to handle. Dredge in seasoned flour and fry in a mixture of olive oil and butter. Remove from pan and add to the oil the juice of 1/2 a lemon, a jar of mostly drained marinated artichoke hearts, a little garlic and a spoonful of capers. Heat and add the fried chicken back to the sauce. Serve over left over spaghetti noodles.

Marilyn_22
7/18/2009 1:55:32 AM
Here are 2 super easy crock pot recipes Chicken Cacciatore 4 chicken breasts 1 lg can stewed tomatoes 1 sm can tomato paste 1 onion -chopped 1 large bell pepper - chopped Italian seasoning Place chicken in crock pot, top with vegetables, stir in tomato paste and sprinkle with Italian seasoning -cook on low all day or 4 hours on high Carnitas 2-3 lb pork shoulder 2 chopped jalapenos 1 can beer cilantro Put pork shoulder in crockpot, add jalapenos, and pour in beer-sprinkle with cilantro. Cook all day on low. Shred and serve with tortillas and monterey jack cheese. Amazing

Abby_2
7/17/2009 10:01:23 PM
Here is a quick dish to use the abundance of summer squash. Servings: 2-4 Double or triple for more people or leftovers. Prep time:15-20 minutes Saute 1 medium onion sliced thin. Slicing thin speeds cooking time.(I use organic virgin coconut oil and a little butter). When almost golden add, 1 very thinly sliced (rounds) small zuccini and 1 small yellow squash and 1-2 cloves garlic, Opt.cayenne or other hot pepper. Mix, cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. When tender but not mushy and a handful of chopped basil and any other herbs from the garden..parsley, thyme, marjoram. Add chopped fresh tomato, salt and pepper. Stir in, cover and turn off heat. Let flavors meld together for about 5 minutes and serve with feta cheese (or goat, Parmesan,or cheddar) sprinkled on top. This can also be served over pasta or rice. Leftovers can be put into casserole, topped with slices of tomato and cheese and baked the next day, Or added to a soup.

K S_7
7/17/2009 6:29:34 PM
I'm not a veggie, but i really like this dish. I've tried baking everything together, or just some things, or just mixing them together after cooking each individually. Each way seems to work equally well. Cooked brown rice Broccoli Toasted cashews Cooked firm tofu Surprisingly tasty, even without spices. Vary amounts to taste. Enjoy!

Noel Voos_3
7/17/2009 4:17:53 PM
Tangy Crock Pot Beef - Here's a very easy meal crock pot style - 3 basic ingredients. Place a 2-3 lb chuck roast (or similar lower grade cut with not too much fat) in the crock pot... Add a medium to large size jar of Jardinaire pickled vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, pepperoncini, red peppers, etc)... One 12 ounce bottle of beer - your choice - it's more for tenderizing purposes, but the use of the darker varieties of beer these days (bocks, ambers, heavier flavored beers) some of the flavor carries over to the meat. Slow cook on low while you are at work. The meat pulls apart so easily with a fork after about 5-6 hours. We normally have just eaten with salad and a veggie, but if you shred some lettuce, small diced cuccumbers, and a creamy style dressing (ranch, cuccumber, etc) and put it all in a pita pocket or on another variety of the flat breads - WOW - what quick but delicious meal As good old Julia would tell us - Bon Apetite!

Mary Burch
7/17/2009 1:33:51 PM
I am disabled, so I need something easy to cook. I make crockpot meals almost every day--spring, summer, fall and winter. We also have a great year-round garden, and get a variety of vegetables harvested every day. Each morning I get up and wheel my chair to the refrigerator to see what was harvested the day before. Today I have carrots, celery(two sticks), a few beets (the beets are already cooked), several patty pan squash, a few leaves of french sorrel, parsley and a bell pepper. I really prefer it when I can add a patty pan, a crookedneck and a zucchini together, but you use what you have. I start every stew with an onion. Usually I saute it on the stove because it tastes better than just boiled in the crockpot. But on days I feel sick, I just chop it and put it in the crockpot. Most stews also have celery and carrots. Today I will chop all of the vegetables and add a potato or two and a few cloves of garlic. The local store had a good sale on mushrooms last week, so I will slice a few mushrooms and toss them in. Then I will add a pound of diced meat--today it is pork, but I also use chicken and beef. Seasoning is last. Today I will add barbecue sauce. I end up with 4 quarts of chopped vegetables and about 2 cups of diced meat. I add water to about an inch below the top of the vegetables, then stir it all together and put the crockpot on high. It takes about 5 hours or so to cook. Serve with whole grain bread and a salad. Artisan breads are nice, too. Yesterday's stew had tomatoes, so I left out the beets and used a few teaspoons of cumin. Tomorrow I will add 1/2 cup of rice, leave out the beet, and add curry powder. I will chop a few small apples (or one large) and add a handful or two of raisins to complement the curry. When I use beef, I often add thyme and potatoes. Other days I may have tomatoes, okra, greens or eggplants. Soon I will have cabbages. During the winter I might have winter squash, radishes(they taste good cooked

Karla Kearney
7/17/2009 11:57:31 AM
Garden Stuffed Spuds 2-3 large baking potatoes 1 medium chopped onion 1 T olive oil 1 cup chopped zucchini, tomatoes, corn or other garden surplus 1 cup of cooked beans (black, kidney, pinto) 1/2 cup of fresh or jarred salsa 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional) Bake potatoes in usual fashion (on grill, in microwave or in oven). Remove from oven and let cool. In the meantime, saute onion and veggies in olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add beans and salsa and let simmer on low heat. Cut potatoes in half length wise, and scoop out middles (save for use in another recipe or for mashed potatoes). Fill potatoes with veggie mix and top with grated cheese. Makes 4-6 servings.

Brook_2
7/17/2009 10:15:16 AM
Kitri is a one-pot, quick meal, and is also incredibly affordable and versatile. The more exotic-seeming ingredients are standard fare at any Indian grocery store. This recipe from the Internet, works fine for us. We get very liberal with the vegetables (cauliflower AND cabbage and leftovers). • 1 cup rice • 1 cup urad or mung dahl or split peas • 1 Tablespoon salt • 1 teaspoon tumeric • 2 crushed red peppers • 1/2 cauÿiflower or cabbage • 1 ince piece of fresh ginger • 2 cups string beans • 1 teaspoon anise seed • 1 small potato • 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida • 1/4 cup butter • 2 teaspoon ground cumin • 5 cups water Wash rice and dahl very thoroughly. Place in large-sized pot with tight cover and add water. Bring to a boil. Add salt and spices. Cut cauliflower in large flowerettes, or cut cabbage in large pieces. Cut potato in 1 1/2" chunks; remove strings from string beans and snap into 2" pieces. Add vegetables immediately or after kitri has been simmering on a medium flame, covered for 1/2 hour, for more crisp vegetables. Stir once or twice, but not too often. Frequent stirring makes the kitri too mushy. Cook on low-medium flame until it is well cooked and the vegetables are very tender. Add butter and stir lightly.

steven delnick_2
7/14/2009 4:32:21 PM
I found this wonderful book, 'All About Braising', by Molly Stevens last year (I think it's available on Amazon). Pepperonata (sweet pepper stew), braised green cabbage, potato and leek, cabbage with soft cheese, endive with proscuitto are among the vegetable dishes. A wonderful take on pot roast using hard cider, sausage with plums, coq a vin, sauerbraten, pork yucatan-style...you get the picture. I'm supposing you can take the basics I've mentioned...there are many more recipes than what I've listed...and fly, but there is much much good information about which pots to use and why, cuts of meat and why, techniques, cooking liquids...and wines to accompany. Also, I baked a pizza in the bottom of my brasier...deep dish with tomatoes (sauce), onions, garlic and herbs from my small garden along with mushrooms and three cheeses...yum...

SR Davis
7/11/2009 5:43:24 PM
This is my favorite summer garden recipe - Boil your favorite pasta and drain. Add one bottle of italian dressing or your own oil and vinegar dressing. Add chopped squash, zuchinni, cucumbers, tomatoes, bellpeppers, banana peppers, olives, eggplant and your favorite cheese - I put in homemade mozarella (recipe from MotherEarth) and Gorganzola Blue Cheese. Salt and Pepper to taste and chill for at least an hour - yummy delicious!!

MC_2
7/11/2009 2:11:00 AM
Rat Patooie So named 'cause my 7-year-old makes a great show of hating it. Everyone else in the house wolfs it down. Put a large skillet on the stove. Brown meat (ground beef, ground turkey, sausage-- whatever you've got, or skip the meat entirely; if not using meat, heat a little butter or oil). Chop up some summer squash. I tend to halve or quarter it and slice fairly thin, but pick your own preference. Zucchini works best but some yellow squash gives it a nice flavor. Add some more vegetables-- tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, peppers, whatever suits your tastes (although I can't recommend using leafy greens). Add tomato sauce to almost cover. Season with garlic, black and/or cayenne pepper, and just a pinch of salt. Cook over low to medium heat to desired tenderness. Serve over last night's rice or by itself. A little grated white cheese makes a really excellent topping, but it's good without it too. Hot sauce does a swell job of adjusting the heat to individual tastes, though if you don't make your own please be advised it also ups the saltiness quite a bit. Reheats OK on a range, better in a microwave, for a quick meal the next day or a work lunch that beats the daylights out of sandwiches again. SUPER EASY TO CLEAN UP AFTER!!!!

Mary_78
7/9/2009 1:39:30 PM
Here is our favorite: 4 to 6 pound pork shoulder or picnic roast, whatever is on sale Pork Rub (either buy one or make one from: dried onion or onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, chili powder and ground chipotle) Liquid Smoke 1/4 C Chicken Stock Bring pork to room temp. Rub with some Liquid Smoke, then with pork rub. You can brown the meat at this point, if you like. I usually do. Put stock in the bottom of the cooker, add the pork. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Shred the pork in the juices, removing any fat or gristle as you shred. Serve with your favorite barbeque sauce and cole slaw. I use the leftover pork for burritos the next day.

M. Haller Yamada
7/9/2009 4:41:07 AM
My gosh, it's hot today, and I don't even want to think about "one-pot." How about one-plate? A big salad with all the trimmings (cukes, carrot slivers, maybe some cherry tomatoes if you have them, and whatever else is on hand), topped with some canned sardines makes a very quick and easy salad -- and the sardines have all that lovely omega-stuff. And since you can eat the bones, calcium, too. I buy Japanese sardines that have soy-sauce flavored oil that also doubles as a dressing. But, there's chef salad, cobb salad, and nicoise salad which are all pretty easy and you don't really need to heat up the house except for the eggs. Or just old-fashioned romaine and bacon salad with a mayo dressing, served with whole-wheat toast and some cheese. If you have your heart set on a one-pot dish, though, in a little bit it will be the season for ratatouille -- make a double batch, and eat it cold the next day with some crusty toast! MMMMM.

Karl U
7/9/2009 4:35:57 AM
Interesting article. This quick and easy one pot meal can be marketed easily through the help of BUM Marketing. Do you know that Bum Marketing program is great and easy to use. BUM marketing, or Bum marketing, is an internet affiliate marketing strategy. The key to it is to find a niche or a specific product or service to market. One of the easiest ways to enter into it is to write articles for blogs, and put keywords – the phrases that people search for on search engines – and also post links around the Internet. This is called SEO, or search engine optimization, and it's a good way to make money online through writing articles and with BUM marketing, and you don't need a cash advance to get started. Interested? Follow this, http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2009/07/06/seo-bum-marketing-payday-loans/

Gary Novosel
7/7/2009 7:38:34 PM
Buffalo Chili Add to Favorites This chili has beans. That was a disclaimer. Why? Because it’s against the law in Texas to make a chili containing beans. At least that’s what people in Texas want you to believe. Therefore, I’ve probably violated several local ordinances and likely will be pictured on several post office billboards throughout the Lone Star state. Because I like beans, and I think you should too, I’ve put myself on the line and risked incarceration to show you the other side of chili. I’m also not going to argue about the spelling. Chile is a country. Chile is also the correct Spanish spelling for a pepper. Chilly means you are cold and need to eat chili or a chili pepper or get into a tub of hot water with a glass of red wine. Fight about it if you will, but I’m in enough trouble with law enforcement about the bean issue. This chili uses ground buffalo meat. You can use any ground protein that you wish for this chili. I use Buffalo because it is farm raised, grass fed, much lower in fat, cooks very nicely, and was in my refrigerator. Not the entire buffalo mind you, only the wings. Ground buffalo is sold in one pound packages and comes as both organic and regular. Consider it and cook it just like hamburger but with lower saturated fat content. The other thing I learned after spending about an hour trying to get a nicely colored and composed picture of chili is that chili is difficult to photograph. This was confirmed as I watched Last Restaurant Standing on BBC America and a food photographer chastised one of the remaining couples for making him photograph chili saying that “chili is one of the toughest foods to photograph.” Next time, I’ll know. Buffalo meat is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6 and B12, Zinc, and Selenium. Pinto beans are low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. They are also a good source of Protein, Folate, Phosphorus, Manganese and Selenium, and a very good source of Dietar