Several readers have inquired about how to make the 30-minute Mozzarella Cheese Recipe from Ricki Carroll's great book, Home Cheese Making, without using a microwave. Here's how.
Follow the recipe for 30-minute Mozzarella until Step 5.
* When you get to Step 5, reserve the whey. Then put on heavy rubber gloves.
* Heat the reserved whey to at least 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
* Add 1/4 cup of cheese salt to the whey.
* Shape the curd into one or more balls, put them in a ladle or strainer, and dip them into the hot whey for several seconds.
* Knead the curd with spoons between each dip and repeat this process several times until the curd is smooth and pliable. When it stretches like taffy, it's done.
* Roll the cheese into small balls, and serve warm. Or place them in a bowl of ice water for half an hour to bring the inside temperature down rapidly. This will produce a consistent, smooth texture throughout.
* If you have any cheese leftover (highly unlikely!), cover and store in the refrigerator.
Discover a dazzling array of workshops and lectures designed to get you further down the path to independence and self-reliance.LEARN MORE