Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.
The Christmas season is upon us, and nothing warms my household more than delicious holiday treats. This Chocolate-Toffee Crackers recipe is one that my family and I enjoy regularly. After all, what is Christmas without a little indulgence? Organic ingredients allow us to splurge without ingesting harmful pesticides. I order items from www.vitacost.com when I cannot find them locally. While this recipe is great to enjoy at home, it is an even better gift. Take a decorative box-full to work or to your elderly neighbors. Watch their faces light up in joy at your thoughtfulness, for what is Christmas if not the time to celebrate what a gift it is to give?
Chocolate Toffee Crackers Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
• 1 stick butter
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips
• 1 sleeve saltine crackers (or more)
• 1/2 cup marshmallows
1. In a small pot, melt butter on low heat. Stir in brown sugar until blended with butter. Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
2. On a cookie sheet, arrange saltines evenly. They should cover the entire cookie sheet. If they do not, add more crackers as needed until the sheet is full.
3. Drizzle chocolate toffee over crackers, smoothing the sauce and covering every cracker with a spatula. Sprinkle on marshmallows.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until marshmallows are lightly browned.
5. Cool crackers in refrigerator for at least an hour, or speed up the cooling process by freezing for ten minutes.
Monica Sharrock is a deer hunter's wife and elementary teacher living in rural Oklahoma. She enjoys making her home cozy by baking delicious (and organic) treats for her small family.
All MOTHER EARTH NEWS community bloggers have agreed to follow our Blogging Best Practices, and they are responsible for the accuracy of their posts. To learn more about the author of this post, click on the byline link at the top of the page.