Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Free MOTHER EARTH NEWS How to Can App

8/5/2011 9:02:00 AM

Tags: how to can app, wiser living app, mother earth news apps, app, Robin Mather, how to can

This free canning resource from MOTHER EARTH NEWS offers you the knowledge you need to start canning fruits and vegetables safely and efficiently! It takes the mystery out of canning and will help you fill your pantry with delicious, locally grown foods.

Editor's note: As of 2014, this app now includes instructions on how to can several kinds of meat and fish! Take food preservation to a whole new level!

How To Can 2013 Lead Image

If you’re a beginning canner, you’ll get off to a great start because methods and processing times are drawn from science-based, research-tested U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) directions, as well as the Ball canning company, the leading supplier of canning supplies. Even if you’re an old hand at canning with years of experience, you’ll appreciate the easy-to-use portability of the resource, which works on Apple and Android mobile devices.

You’ll also find information on how much a bushel of peaches should weigh, for example, and an idea of how many quarts of canned peaches that bushel will turn into. So whether it’s a lug of fresh berries at a roadside stand or the bushel of sweet corn you can’t resist at the farmers market, you’ll know exactly how much food you’ll have put by when you finish.

The resource provides information on how to can 10 fruits, from apples to strawberries, and 10 vegetables, from asparagus to squash. Tomatoes get their own treatment, with 7 ways to preserve them from whole-in-juice to salsa. There are instructions on when to use a waterbath canner and when to use a pressure canner. There are also with easy-to-use charts that show processing times for each method. Changes in elevation are taken into account in processing times.

If you’ve been daunted by pressure canning, How to Can will help you work through your trepidation. The easy-to-understand explanations and directions will defuse pressure canning’s intimidation factor.

Because this resource can be used on small, portable devices, you can take it right to your kitchen counter when canning, where you can quickly see exactly how minutes your foods need to stay in the canner.

Whether your goal is a few jars of jam or a pantry filled with summer’s best bounty to see you through the winter, this free canning resource will be your new best friend. And did we mention that it’s free?

Get the How to Can App!

Currently available for download on your Android or Apple smartphone or tablet:

Don’t forget to visit the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Apps page for information about all of our app offerings, including even more organic gardening techniques and crop-by-crop growing guides.Please feel free to contact MOTHER EARTH NEWS with your questions and concerns regarding our smartphone and tablet apps. Visit our App Support page for more information.

New Beef Recall Developments

The USDA has announced that it will now be easier for consumers to avoid tainted beef.

How to Become a Canadian Citizen

Immigrating to Canada can be a daunting process, but the Canadian government provides resources to h...

The Trials and Tribulations of Starting a Candle-Making Business

Iain continues to battle with the frustration of starting up a candle making business hitting troubl...

A Raw Deal

Almond and wholesale nut farmers in California filed a lawsuit this month against the U.S. Departmen...

shernsam@m
9/24/2014 7:53:54 AM
I guess I'm one of many, but my main usage is on the PC. I can't wait for you to make the App available to it. I'm not into iPhones or iPads.

AndreaK
11/10/2013 12:33:49 AM
Hi everyone, I'm so happy that I have both, an iPhone and an iPad! I haven't downloaded the app yet and it may not be available any longer due to all the negative comments... I understand people gets frustrated but what bothers me is the sense of entitlement you all displayed. Free country? Let the people that make the FREE! application make it the way they want!!! Ask nicely, they don't have an obligation with you.

SbrBiker
6/5/2013 1:33:54 PM

Did you miss the large contingent of people asking about PC downloads? Not everyone uses a smartphone! How do I get a copy of this that I can download to my PC? I'd love to know how to can, but my phone is for making phone calls! Give us a library on your website where we can download these!

MotherEarthNewsAppSupport
5/13/2013 12:26:14 PM

Thank you all for your thoughtful insights!

How To Can no longer exists as a stand-alone app. We had noticed that this version was glitching for some of our users. To provide a better user experience, we have incorporated How To Can into our brand new MOTHER EARTH NEWS library app. (Both the app and How To Can are free!) This content is currently available in the iTunes App Store and Google Play for applicable phone and tablet devices. Just search "mother earth news" in one of these app stores.

The blog above has been edited to express these new developments.

We hope to make How To Can available to as many readers and device users as possible in the future. Check our main apps page (linked to in this blog) for updates.

The comments on this blog will be monitored in the future. Your questions and concerns help us provide the best products possible, so please continue to share your thoughts.

Best wishes from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS app team!

ZANNE HORVATH
9/8/2012 6:45:20 PM
I just downloaded this app onto my Macbook. Worked fine. I don't have an iPhone or iPad, just a computer.

CAROL BENNETT
9/8/2012 4:39:16 PM
I have to agree with these previous comments. I was left out when they gave instructions for electronics - thank Heaven for children and grandchildren. It seems if you don't have something attached to your ear on in your hand texting you are out of the loop. I do enjoy my PC and info on Internet, like Mother Earth.

George Lawson
9/7/2012 8:10:32 PM
Have to agree with my fellow posters ... Mother Earth News is sadly behind the times if it thinks Apple is the only player in the marketplace any longer! And, while your loyal readers seem to have a wide assortment of smart phones (including none at all), everyone accessing this website probably has access to a computer. Why not focus your energies and resources on producing applications the majority of your readers have, rather than a minority? Instead of providing a valuable resource we can all appreciate, your current chicken and canning apps simply serve to frustrate most of us!

Chris Polson
9/7/2012 4:39:44 PM
I find it hilarious that a site that encourages back to the basics would provide this app for only the most hi-tech phones and not for the basic pc.

Shane Patterson
7/22/2012 11:57:24 PM
Wont install on phone from Canada?

Tanya Ishere
7/20/2012 8:44:00 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I have a basic phone. This app for pc would be more useful. At least we could print information out to bring in the kitchen with us. I dont know of many people who are going to keep their phone next to them in the kitchen while they learn to can.

JENNINE WARDLE
2/10/2012 6:22:24 PM
How about the same application for PC/Mac? Not everyone has or needs a fancy phone. If you've gone to the trouble of creating a phone app, it shouldn't be that difficult to convert it to (probably *back to*) a computer application.

SANDRA HAYS
1/2/2012 12:18:08 PM
Nice!! Thank you!

Kathy Schleicher
9/21/2011 2:21:36 PM
Yeah! And what about those who are not so fortunate - and don't have ANY (limited income) sort of Blackberry or iphones?

TERESA COOK
9/20/2011 10:29:44 PM
Oh, come on! Do you think that there are only iphones out there??! What about us die-hard Blackberry folks? I'm sorely disappointed in you, Mother. Get it together & start offering these apps for Blackberry, too.