Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Homemade Butter and Buttermilk Recipes Wanted

4/20/2009 9:39:26 AM

Tags: butter, buttermilk, recipes, question to readers

In the June/July 2009 issue of Mother Earth News, food historian William Rubel will bring us a fantastic and easy technique for making sweet cream and cultured butter at home. So we're interested in reader recipes that capitalize on the divine qualities of freshly made butter, and of course that other delicious product of butter making: fresh buttermilk. If you've got any great butter or buttermilk recipes, please share them with other readers in the comments section below.

For example, I made butter last week and used the buttermilk to cook my breakfast oatmeal — and of course enjoyed a melting pat of fresh butter on top!

Is Sour Milk the Same as Buttermilk?

Find out what makes sour milk different from buttermilk, and get ideas for putting past-its-prime mi...

Homemade Buttermilk and Creme Fraiche

Making your own buttermilk and créme fraîche (French sour cream) is so easy, you'll never buy it aga...

Monarchs Are On the Move

The 2008 fall monarch migration is underway, with better resources than ever for tracking the progre...

Cranberry Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe

A delicious way to use your favorite cranberry sauce, relish or chutney.

bruce_31
7/4/2009 8:03:47 PM
Hi I was wondering about the rcipe for making butter from buttermilk.It may be on here but I haver a slow connection and no time to look it up? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Deborah Guinn
5/17/2009 6:33:53 PM
Love these recipes

Delores Baker
5/12/2009 7:35:39 PM
Thanks for all the recipes. I really enjoyed them. I also have an old hand crank churn that belonged to my GrandMother.

janet_35
5/6/2009 3:51:04 PM
If you like custard pie then you will love to wear(I mean eat) this Buttermilk Pie piecrust for 10in pie plate 3/4 cup sugar 1/4 teas salt 3 tbsp flour 3 eggs 2 teas vanilla 2 cups buttermilk 1/2 cup melted butter Fill pie plate with pastry and put in refrigerator.Mix sugar,salt and flour. Separate the eggs,beat yolks slightly and add to dry ingredients.Add vanilla,buttermilk and melted butter.Mix well with electric mixer. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.Fold into the custard and blend well. Pour into chilled shell and bake at 425F. for 30 minutes then reduce to 325F for 30 minutes. The pie should be golden brown and knife come out clean.

kathryn wise
5/4/2009 8:31:53 AM
When my kids where young I would save peanut butter containers and on the holidays like Thanksgiving I would give each one a peanut butter jar filled 3/ of the way with heavy whipping cream. And if you shake and shake the heavy cream it will turn into butter. And just chill before use. It can also be put into those shaped silicone ice cube trays . You can also add honey to make flavored butter. Hope you try this is great for adults too.

marika_2
5/3/2009 10:28:53 AM
my favourite cream to make butter from is the one from grass-fed cows. the butter comes out yellow, the only way to have it this color, since only grass supplies necessary vitamins (A) and nutrients for the cows, so their cream will turn out yellow butter. as for buttermilk, if i have not drank it right away (i make small quantities at a time), i pour it in a jar from heavy cream to rinse out all the specks of it (it was cultured on the counter overnight too) and leave it in a widemouth jar on the counter. after some time at room temperature, there is delicious yogurt type product. it's known in russia as "prostokvasha". the only thing that still gives me "grief" is that i can't figure out how to mold my butter. just can't get it right..

Leona Bishop
4/29/2009 12:08:24 AM
Buttermilk- My grandmother (1857-1940) who emigrated from Germany would make "Buttermilk Sup". She would bring the buttermilk to a near boil and throw in either a small handful of rice or toast crumbs. It made the best soup. Using pasturized buttermilk would not be the same! Buttermilk- There is a southern snack made by taking a glass of buttermilk, adding a pinch of salt, and adding a slice of broken up cornbread. You have one delicious snack! Buttermilk Pancakes- (Recipe obtained in the 1940's, a family favorite!) Beat 2 EGGS, Stir in 2 cups BUTTERMILK and 1 tsp. BAKING SODA. Add 1 heaping cup FLOUR, with 2 tsp. SUGAR in it. SALT to taste. Stir tell no lumps with wire whisk. Pour cakes on hot greased griddle. Turn when pancake starts to bubble on top. Buttermilk Donuts- 3 EGGS, 1 1/2 cup SUGAR, 1 cup SOUR CREAM, 1 cup BUTTERMILK, 3 Tbsp. BUTTER, MELTED, NUTMEG, 2 tsp. VANILLA, 6 cups FLOUR, 1 tsp. SODA, 2 rounded tsp. BAKING POWDER, 1/2 tsp. SALT, 2 tsp. VINEGAR. Beat eggs; add sugar, buttermilk and whipping cream (made sour with 2 tsp. vinegar). Stir well. Add melted butter and sprinkle of nutmeg. Sift the dry ingredients and add to the 1st mixture. Add additional flour, as needed, to make a soft roll of dough. Let set at least 1 hour in refrigerator. (I make in evening and fry donuts in the mornings). Roll dough on lightly floured surface, cut donut shapes. Bake at 360 degrees in deep fat fryer. Fresh Homemade Butter- If I have an abundance of butter, I put it in a plastic bag and freeze it for later use. Years ago I used to make a BUTTER CAKE. It always got compliments. I'd have to find the recipe for that again. Fresh butter works best for frying and baking. It makes the best Christmas Candy. English Toffee- 1 cup BUTTER, 1 cup SUGAR, 1/4 cup WATER, 1/2 tsp. SALT, 1- 6oz pkg CHOCOLATE CHIPS, chopped PECANS. Boil butter, sugar, water and salt in saucepan over low or med.

Rhea
4/28/2009 6:20:42 PM
I had a great source of fresh, raw cream last spring that I used to make butter. It was by far the best butter I've ever eaten. I wanted to attempt to make scones, but I wasn't completely sold on any of the scone recipes that I could find and I wanted to use up some extra cranberries that I had frozen around the holidays. That desire is how this recipe was born. I hope it is enjoyed! CRANBERRY-ORANGE SCONES (Yield: 8 servings) 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (ww pastry flour has a finer texture) 2 tsp. baking powder 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. baking soda 6 T. fresh, unsalted butter, cold, cut into bits 1/2 c. agave nectar zest of 1 orange (this can easily be made in a food processor) 1/4 c. fresh-squeezed orange juice 1/4 c. buttermilk or cream 1c. cranberries (fresh or frozen) 1/2 c. rolled oats Combine dry ingredients except for oats. Add cold bits of butter. With hands, massage this mixture together until uniformly crumbly. Combine wet ingredients (including berries and orange zest) and add to dry ingredients. Add oats. Knead just a few times on a floured surface. Pat into a 3/4 " thick circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on an non-greased baking pan. Brush with milk. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. These are especially delicious while still warm!

b miller
4/27/2009 1:06:41 PM
On Sunday buy a bottle of heavy whipping cream and start shaking...stop early and dip out some fresh whipped cream for dessert...shake some more and you have fresh butter and buttermilk. The buttermilk is perfect for pouring over just baked cornbread for breakfast or dinner. The butter is sublime browned with fresh sage leaves 'fried' in it and the lot tossed with pasta. Grate a little Parmeggiano Reggiano over the top and dig in!

aunt wonderful
4/26/2009 6:52:06 PM
The following web site has a fabulous recipe for buttermilk scones. I haven't found anything yet that they don't go with. They even make great garlic bread. http://www.vistadoro.com/recipes/ButtermilkScones.pdf

hithere
4/26/2009 12:18:52 PM
I live in Poland.We drink buttermilk straight too.It is suppose to change your body chemistry which in turn keeps the mosquitoes away.Not sure if it really works! Fresh butter right on fresh bread straight out of the oven,of course.And buttermilk,cultured milk or yogurt mixed in mashed potatoes,then sprinkled with chives.Yum.

Shreesh Ponkshe
4/25/2009 11:43:59 AM
I am from India - where it can get quite hot. For those of you in the southern states where it can get quite hot - hope you can try it out. We drink buttermilk straight raw - its a great cooling, refreshing drink. If you want to spice it up, you can add salt, crushed ginger, shopped cilantro (coriander leaves).

motherreader
4/24/2009 4:53:52 PM
That sounds like a great recipe. Thanks so much, Pirate Farmer! (nice name, by the way) I'd like to recommend a delicious grain corn to anyone who wants to try the Pirate Farmer's corn bread recipe. Cornmeal made from 'Floriani Red Flint' corn has a "rich, warm and complex taste." Learn more about it in The Return of a Great Corn Variety: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Floriani-Red-Flint-Corn.aspx You can order this cornmeal through Anson Mills: www.ansonmills.com And if you'd like to try growing the remarkable variety, you can order seeds through the Seed Savers Exchange: http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/41318.html -Tabitha Alterman, Mother Earth News

Pirate Farmer
4/24/2009 4:06:51 PM
Best Cornbread I've Ever Made! Not only is is the greatest, it's gluten free so friends with wheat allergies can eat it too! Bake it in a well greased, hot, 8 3/4 inch (#6) cast iron skillet, muffin tin or corn stick pan. If using skillet, melt Crisco in it until hot and pour into batter, mix and pour back into hot skillet, this is what will make the cornbread crisp on the bottom. 2 Tbs melted Crisco 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 2 cups stone ground corn meal 1 tsp soda 1 egg 1 3/4 cup buttermilk 1/4 cup sugar (optional, don't use if making cornbread for dressing) Mix dry ingredients, lightly beat egg with buttermilk, add to dry ingredients. Bake at 400 degrees, 25-30 minutes for skillet, adjust for muffins or cornsticks.