Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Help! I'm Allergic to Bread

5/11/2011 1:41:02 PM

Tags: gluten intolerance, Turkey hard red winter wheat, bread, Heidi Hunt

Well – at least that’s how it seems. During the last year, I have developed gluten intolerance. No more chocolate chip cookies, or peanut butter toast or Saturday morning pancakes …

I’m discovering that I’m not alone in my misery, that there are thousands of people just like me for whom the consumption of wheat-based products is just not a good thing. So, I’ve been wondering what it is that is different about today’s wheat that is causing so many people’s digestive tract to react negatively? Could it be that the “modernizing” of the wheat, the breeding changes that have happened over the decades, has actually changed the chemistry of the gluten?

I recently read an article from The Wall Street Journal (March 15, 2011, Clues to Gluten Sensitivity, in which Joseph A. Murray, a gastroenterologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. says, “People aren’t born with this. Something triggers it and with this dramatic rise in all ages, it must be something pervasive in the environment.” One possible culprit: agricultural changes to wheat that have boosted its protein content.”

If “modernizing” the wheat is the problem, then perhaps finding a flour made from an heirloom wheat might be the solution. Enter Turkey hard red winter wheat. Here is a bit of history from the Heartland Mills website on this wheat that is currently being grown around Lawrence, Kan., which makes it a local food find for me!

“Turkey variety hard red winter wheat was introduced to Kansas in 1873, carried by Mennonite immigrants from Crimea in the Ukraine, fleeing Russian forced military service. The Mennonite history relates that this seed was carefully hand selected for the soundest kernels and packed in the luggage of the immigrants on their long journey to new farms in a new and distant land. These farm families gave us more than seed – they also carried with them the agricultural knowledge and skills necessary for this crop to be successful in Kansas – where the climate and soils were much like in their lands in the Ukraine.”

I acquired 10 pounds of the Turkey unbleached white flour from Heartland Mills, shared a bit with a friend who is similarly afflicted, and set out to make a lovely loaf of crusty artisan bread. I could hardly wait for the bread to cool enough to cut and slather with some lovely butter. Voila, a loaf later, my innards were still happy. And my suffering friend experienced the same result — nothing — which is, of course, what we were hoping for.

I’ve now ordered 25 pounds of Turkey hard red winter wheat unbleached, white flour from Heartland Mills (the code for that item is T65) and anticipate many satisfying meals that include wheat-based products. It may not be gluten free, but for me it is gluten tolerant.

If you suffer from gluten intolerance and have found an heirloom wheat flour you can tolerate, please share the information in the comments section below.

Heidi Hunt is an Assistant Editor at MOTHER EARTH NEWS magazine. She has been on the editorial staff since 2001 when Ogden Publications acquired the magazine. Heidi especially enjoys interacting with readers and answering the myriad of questions they throw her way. You can also follow Heidi on .

Gluten-Free Foods: Cookies, Crackers and Snack Product Review

Many people living with gluten intolerance, wheat allergies or Celiac disease are often left without...

Fast, Healthy, Gluten-Free Meals Under Pressure

The Gluten-Free Homemaker, Linda Etherton shares quick, healthy, gluten-free, pressure cooker meals.

The Best Bread Book I've Ever Read

Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman is an indispensable resource for...

Yogurt-Making & Bread-Baking

Homestead skills of yogurt-making and bread-baking increase your independence from grocery store ais...

Abba Niv
8/24/2012 9:35:50 AM
The wheat you describe is probably a DURUM wheat which is part of the wheat grown in the middle east and it's wild ancestors were found in the Galilee about 100 years ago. Durum wheat is used for Pasta. See comment by Gary Eslin on Italy etc In all probability the cause is due to the variety of wheat much more than other reasons. Most of this is based on courses at the Univ of Minnesota agriculture campus in St Paul 70 years ago.

Karina Koenig-Johnson
8/17/2012 10:16:58 AM
There is clearly a difference between gluten/wheat sensitivity and Coeliac Disease. Coeliac Disease is inherited (but may skip a generation). Doctors use an endoscopy test (camera down the aesophagus) to take a biopsy of the intestines. When a person has Coeliac Disease the villi (like tiny hairs in the stomach) are all burned away by the gluten. If a Coeliac ingests gluten or wheat it will take up to three weeks for the villi to grow back, during which time they are not taking in any nutrution from their food. If you suffer from unexplained weight loss, constipation and/or diorhea, stomach cramps, feeling poorly and tired etc, you must visit your doctor and tell them everything (how long the symptoms, how tired you are etc). Coeliac Disease is not a fad, it is a serious medical condition which can have far-reaching effects.

GARY ESLIN
8/17/2012 3:55:29 AM
I have just about given up on wheat due to stomach issues. I have tested negative for gluten problems but still can't eat wheat without issues. On a recent trip to Italy, I could not resist eating great Italian bread, pasta, and pizza. Guess what--no issues even though I ate a diet heavily made of wheat. I have noticed that most wheat products in the US are "fortified". I wonder if the additives are the problem for some of us. In any case, I am going to try to find wheat that is unadulerated to see if that will make a difference. This older form of wheat may just fit the bill. Thanks for the info.

mslcarcraz
8/14/2012 12:29:41 AM
You can only be allergic to proteins - so it really is the gluten. While your statement is somewhat true, in that the wheat itself is to blame - it really is the protein content of the wheat itself (gluten) that causes the problem. Technically speaking, if a particular strain of wheat has more gluten (for any reason), it has more potential to cause irritation in sensitive individuals. Then the real question becomes, what has made individuals more sensistive? Or, are we naturally sensitive to this protein, and the increased concentration is the real issue?

ELIZABETH HARRIS
8/13/2012 11:55:55 PM
I grind my own wheat flour as I need it. Some people are alergic to the gluten but it is from flour that is stale. If wheat is ground, it holds nutrition for only 24 hours. Then it is no good anymore. When I make bread for my friends who are intolerant to gluten, they have no problem eating and digesting my bread. As soon as I grind the wheat, it goes into the dough mix. I also found that doing it that way, the bread needs little sweetening because wheat berries are very sweet by themselve. Just try making sprouts with them. They are so sweet you can't eat them.

Jerri Bedell
8/13/2012 11:10:27 PM
Many allergic reactions people have are not typical GI related symptoms... racing heart beat, skin rashes and dermatitis, swollen itchy eyes etc. I'd love to see if those alternative heirloom wheat flours prevent the other sensitivities. Anyone else suffering with these issues from wheat?

Alison Watson
8/13/2012 4:56:24 PM
Amen, Terri! Our grain-heavy diets have caused this phenomenon. We can trace the history of this and many other illnesses to the institution of the food pyramid that insisted we eat 60% carbs. Since then the health of America has declined and the obesity rates have skyrocketed. Lean meats from grass-fed animals and veggies grown by organic means is what man was intended to eat. Processed foods and sugars should be an occasional indulgence, not an everyday event.

Terri-Ann Houghton
8/13/2012 2:08:21 PM
it is not really the gluten itself that is the problem it is the wheat. The food industry is very invested in consumers believing their hyp. It is the wheat itself. It has been so changed from the wheat we had even fifty years ago that it is making us sick and killing us. Todays wheat causes our intestines to become permiable to toxins that our bodies used to protect us from. Did you know seeds and the majority of the food insdustry is owned by the three top chemical companies.! Big business controls what we can eat, and even what we can grow! what is with that?

DaisyIdes
5/11/2011 7:01:41 PM
Thanks for this tip. I am going to try it out. I had noticed that when I some pastas from Italy rather than US brands I have no symptoms. I do think that the 'modernized' wheat vs. older version may very well explain the basis of the problem.