Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.
This tasty version of chocolate bark is elevated to gourmet status by the addition of cocoa nibs, those tasty little crunchy bits of chocolate-y flavor. This yummy treat was inspired by a Facebook post by Castronovo Chocolate, a premier American chocolatier from Florida. (See website link below.)
Fortunately for those of us living on planet Earth, they ship, as I recently have discovered. Winter is a good time to order. I’m quite sure their version is superior so, for my recipe, while you are awaiting delivery, purchase the best chocolate you can find.
• 1 lb. dark chocolate, chopped, best that you can find
• 1 cup dried tart cherries, cut in half
• 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
• 2 tbsp or to taste, cocoa nibs to sprinkle on top
• More coconut to sprinkle on top
1. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. Melt the chopped chocolate over gentle heat until completely melted, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in the cherries and 1/2 cup coconut. Mix well. Turn out onto the cookie sheet and spread until about ¼-inch thick.
4. Sprinkle the top with more coconut and cocoa nibs, pressing lightly into the chocolate.
5. Let cool completely (or chill), break up into pieces. Feel free to hoard it all to yourself. Sharing recommended but not necessary. Yield about 2 pounds of candy.
Important Notes: Castronovo Chocolate Beautiful website. Last accessed February 17, 2016.
You can follow my further adventures at my personal blog, and you can email me. I teach cooking and baking classes at my home on beautiful Big Rideau Lake, Rideau Lakes Township, ON. I specialize in small classes for maximum benefit. Give me a call, sign up for a class, and I’d love to see you. Read all of my MOTHER EARTH NEWS posts here.
All MOTHER EARTH NEWS community bloggers have agreed to follow our Blogging Best Practices, and they are responsible for the accuracy of their posts. To learn more about the author of this post, click on the byline link at the top of the page.