Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Warming Gluten-Free Recipes

11/30/2010 2:36:20 PM

Tags:

Gluten-free foods do not have to be boring, bland or uncreative. On the contrary, a variety of gluten-free recipes combine healthy whole grains with colorful flavors for a wide range of delicious, satisfying dishes. Many of these gluten-free grains also contain higher protein levels than their glutinous counterparts (wheat, barley and rye). The recipes below, from Eating Well magazine, use a variety of whole grains that are free of gluten, including polenta (made from corn), rice, quinoa and millet. Hearty and warming for the coming winter season, even people with gluten intolerances will enjoy these delicious dinner ideas.

Quinoa On SpoonWarm Quinoa Salad with Edamame and Tarragon

Creamy Polenta

Jeweled Gold Rice

Winter Squash Risotto

Savory Millet Cakes

If you are looking for gluten-free food products, you can also check out our Gluten-Free Snack Product Review for boxed cookies, crackers and pretzels.

Photo by Fotolia/sonia chatelain

Welcome to the Gluten-Free Foods and Recipes Blog!

You can live a joyful gluten-free life! Through this blog, Wendy Gregory Kaho and other gluten-free ...

10 Homemade Soup Recipes for Any Occasion

Ten easy-to-make homemade soup recipes from Eating Well magazine that are suitable for any occasion.

Best Winter Squash and Pumpkin Varieties: Fall for Fall’s Variety

These varieties of winter squash and pumpkin are fantastically sweet. Ask for them at farmers market...

10 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Winter

10 easy steps to get your home prepared for winter.

sir_brady
12/29/2010 10:36:42 AM
thanks for the recipe's, my wife is celiac, and as i am the main food preparer in our family it is always nice to have a few options. i would post some of the one's we prefer if i knew how :) cheers

JOHNA Delano
12/7/2010 9:44:34 AM
Monica's comments while showing concern simply don't apply to all Celiac diagnosis. I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 43 and I can eat many milk products without problems. I am careful though because even as a child too much milk wasn't a good thing for me. I can eat soy as well but never really liked the texture and tend to use it as flour when called for. As for my gut needing to recover, that wasn't a very long process for me as I wasn't eating a lot of processed foods at the time, I threw away all wheat containing items ( donated to local food pantry)and started baking without wheat. I feel that a lot of the problems with diet are mainly the results of creating GMO strains of our food supply. Chemical companies are doing this because so many grains and birds(thin eggshells) aren't surviving the newest pesticides they're cranking out.We're going to see alot more cases of food related intolerance before people wake up and to me, that's a true tradgedy.

Jordana
12/6/2010 5:55:53 AM
Not everyone will have to apply your rules on GF restrictions Monica. We are GF, and have been for 5 years. My baby almost died from celiac spru, yet when we found out we gave him raw milk to help him heal and did not have to avoid everything. MEN has no responsibility to us to provide an information session on GF recipes or other allergies/sensitivities. That is our responsibility if we have problems, not others. I do not feel entitled to anything, and think it's great that they made the effort to help some of us who have to live a little different than the usual whole wheat that they use in so many recipes. Thank you Mother, for your articles this week. It is appreciated, and I plan to share with all my friends!

DB_5
12/3/2010 7:04:05 PM
While Monica's comments may have validity, I don't think they apply here. Mother Earth News is not a celiac publication. While they are providing recipes for those who are following a gluten-free lifestyle (for whatever reason) or for those who simply just want to try a gluten-free meal, I don't feel MEN needs to qualify the recipes they provide. I applaud MEN for acknowledging some of their readers' need for these recipes and, in turn, providing them. Thanks, MEN!

Monica
12/3/2010 2:04:01 PM
I'm not certain if you are working with someone with experience in gluten-free diet when authoring your articles, however, it must be pointed out that anyone RECENTLY (within 3-5 years) diagnosed with celiac disease will be unable to process both dairy and soy, in addition to gluten, until their guts have had ample opportunity to recover. While I am delighted to see articles regarding gluten-free living appear here, thorough research must be done prior to their appearance. Thank you.