Veggie Burgers Every Which Way (The Experiment LLC, 2011) is the perfect alternative to the rubbery, over-processed frozen burgers found at the supermarket. Author Lukas Volger offers more than thirty unique and delicious veggie burger recipes, more than half of which are vegan and/or gluten-free. This Brown Rice and Beet Burger Recipe is excerpted from "Vegetable Burgers."
Brown Rice and Beet Burger Recipe (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Red wine vinegar is the secret ingredient here, bringing a slightly floral and acidic note to the burger. “Searing” this delicate burger on high heat at the beginning of the cooking process is important; the crust that forms is what helps the burger keep its shape. I like to top this one with pickled red onions and a handful of fresh arugula.
• 3 medium beets, scrubbed clean, ends trimmed
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 red onion, diced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1-1/2 cups cooked black or red beans 1 cup cooked brown rice
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• freshly ground black pepper
1. Using the large holes of a box grater or the grater blade of your food processor, grate the beets. (It’s not necessary to peel them first.)
2. In a large, lidded sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it softens and begins to look translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the beets and salt and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until the beets are completely softened. Add the vinegar, toss to combine, and scrape up the browned bits from the pan with a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a mixing bowl, coarsely mash the beans with a potato masher or fork. Fold in the beet mixture, the rice, parsley, and black pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings. Shape into six patties, flattening to a 1/2 inch thickness.
4. In a sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add the patties, in batches if necessary to avoid crowding. They should sizzle—this creates a nice crust. Cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers and cook until browned and firm, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
Want more veggie burger recipes and tips? Read How to Make Veggie Burgers.
Recipe from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way: Fresh, Flavorful and Healthy Vegan and Vegetarian Burgers—Plus Toppings, Sides, Buns and More, copyright © Lukas Volger, 2010. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment, LLC. Available wherever books are sold.