• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 leek, cut into thin rings
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 5 tbsp butter or olive oil
• 2 to 3 medium potatoes, grated
• 1 carrot, grated
• 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 large head broccoli, chopped
• 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
• 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (milder cheeses can be substituted)
• 1 cup half-and-half or cream
• 1 cup milk (all dairy can be replaced with soy milk)
• 1/3 cup dry sherry
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• Fresh parsley, minced
1. In a large pot, sauté onion, leek and garlic in butter or oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add potato, carrot, green pepper and broccoli. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, then add stock. Simmer until all ingredients are soft.
3. Purée soup in a food processor or blender.
4. Heat purée over medium heat, stirring in cheese, cream and milk. Simmer a couple minutes, then add sherry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.
Pay Now & Save 67% Off the Cover Price
Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites :
Community Chickens •
Good Things to Eat •
Utne AltWire •
Keeping Backyard Bees