• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 leek, cut into thin rings
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 5 tbsp butter or olive oil
• 2 to 3 medium potatoes, grated
• 1 carrot, grated
• 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 large head broccoli, chopped
• 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
• 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (milder cheeses can be substituted)
• 1 cup half-and-half or cream
• 1 cup milk (all dairy can be replaced with soy milk)
• 1/3 cup dry sherry
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• Fresh parsley, minced
1. In a large pot, sauté onion, leek and garlic in butter or oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add potato, carrot, green pepper and broccoli. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, then add stock. Simmer until all ingredients are soft.
3. Purée soup in a food processor or blender.
4. Heat purée over medium heat, stirring in cheese, cream and milk. Simmer a couple minutes, then add sherry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS is the guide to living — as one reader stated — “with little money and abundant happiness.” Every issue is an invaluable guide to leading a more sustainable life, covering ideas from fighting rising energy costs and protecting the environment to avoiding unnecessary spending on processed food. You’ll find tips for slashing heating bills; growing fresh, natural produce at home; and more. MOTHER EARTH NEWS helps you cut costs without sacrificing modern luxuries.
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet’s natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. That’s why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.00 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.00 for 6 issues.
Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites :
Great Green Careers •
Community Chickens •
Good Things to Eat •