Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Best Butter Churns: Recommendations Wanted

4/20/2009 9:48:37 AM

Tags: butter, kitchen equipment

Do you use a butter churn (electric or hand churn) to make fresh butter at home? We'd like to know what model you use and how you like it. Please post your reports in the comments section below.

I have enjoyed using Lehman's Best Butter Churn, which is a hand-cranking churn based on the old-fashioned 'Dazey' churns you might be able to find at flea markets or on Ebay. It's best for larger quantities of cream (up to 4 quarts). To watch the Dazey style of churn in action, check out this video:

Homemade Butter and Buttermilk Recipes Wanted

Share your fresh butter and buttermilk recipes.

Monarchs Are On the Move

The 2008 fall monarch migration is underway, with better resources than ever for tracking the progre...

Nuts for Peanut Butter

Making flavorful homemade peanut butter is cheap and easy.

Is Sour Milk the Same as Buttermilk?

Find out what makes sour milk different from buttermilk, and get ideas for putting past-its-prime mi...

Kari Masoner
11/29/2013 9:57:37 AM
I stumbled upon making butter a few decades ago (when you could actually buy whipping cream without all the crap they put in it nowadays!) while making whipped cream in a blender... I mixed it too long and made butter! So, if I ever get to make butter again, that's the way I'll do it! It's INSANE to spend over $100 on a butter churn!

Renee_13
4/11/2010 8:09:11 AM
I use a Gem Dandy 1 gallon electric churn. If I fill it half full with cream I get a little over a pound of butter. Love it!! I got it off ebay for a good price! If the cream is room temp - it'll break into butter in about 5 min - while I'm doing something else!

Conrad MacRoberts_8
3/15/2010 12:20:41 AM
It takes a bit longer, but, I use a small counter top Ice Cream maker (do not freeze the element) DUH !

milkingmaid_44
5/13/2009 10:06:53 PM
I use to shake my cream also in a quart jar. One day my elderly neighbour came over to visit, and the four of us were shaking a jar of cream each. The next day he showed up with his electric butter churn. The make is a "Dixie Maid". My neighbour said he bought it new...for the life of me I can't remember what year he said. When the cream is at room temperature the cream turns to butter quick. I find though that I can only put six quarts of cream into the churn, anymore than that I fear that during the churning process it will overflow.

shirley bradbury
5/2/2009 12:11:24 PM
I use goat milk so I have to separate the cream first. I use an old DeLaval separator that I bought at a barn sale a few years back. To churn, I either put the cream in a gallon jar and shake it until it's ready (great if I'm watching a movie) or I use an old electric churn (brand unknown) that I bought off of eBay. It is a lid with a motor and blades built onto it, that fits onto some glass gallon jars (not all.) I would not buy an expensive Daisy or Daisy replica - for one thing, they are too small. When I've got milk, I've got gallons :-) So I make lots of butter when the goats are really producing, then freeze it in small batches. It's great to not need to go buy butter at the store!

sherryv
4/27/2009 2:19:04 PM
I've used an old blender. Put the cream in,turn it on for a few minutes. Pour off the liquid and you have butter! But using no electric, the quart jar is the best way to go.

Rebekah_2
4/25/2009 9:29:40 AM
I like others do not use a churn. If I am very patient, I like to do it by hand with a utensil. Otherwise, the quickest and easiest way I do it, is to put it in a jar with a lid and shake it until it is conglomerated and then strain the buttermilk, and then squeeze out the excess buttermilk, shape my butter and chill it.

BARBARA GILLIHAN
4/24/2009 5:17:33 PM
For large amounts the Daisy churn is good, but I also use the everyday quart jar and lid most often. Whoever is watching tv at the time, gets the jar to shake!!

JR_4
4/24/2009 4:42:05 PM
We use a Bosch mixer - on high setting for no more than 5 minutes, from one quart of cream we get 1 lb of butter and 2 cups of buttermilk

Jessica Moon_2
4/24/2009 3:47:36 PM
I use an electric hand mixer. I put the cream straight from the fridge into a mixing bowl and turn it on medium to high speed. I usually have butter in less than 15 minutes...though it can take longer in the summertime.

Penny Beigh
4/24/2009 1:58:02 PM
I have a 1918 Lighning Butter Machine. With the cream at room temp I can make butter in about 8 minutes. I love it.

M's
4/24/2009 12:09:57 PM
Although technically not a churn, I find the best way for me to make butter is with my Kitchenaid mixer. I can monitor it closely through the stages without wearing out my arm. I can also be doing other things at the same time. Then I strain the buttermilk and work out the extra buttermilk in the same bowl.

Ray Duchesneau
4/21/2009 9:47:46 AM
The easiest (and cheapest) I have used is a clean one quart jar with lid. The best one I have used is a glass jug with a hand-cranked churn in the lid. Comes from the Lehmans store in Kidron, Ohio (www.lehmans.com).