Cocoa Bean Mulch Dangerous to Dogs

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/cocoa-bean-mulch-harms-dogs.aspx

Dog
MONIQUE RODRIGUEZ/ISTOCKPHOTO

Beware of cocoa bean mulch. The mulch is a byproduct of chocolate production and is sold for garden beds. However, the chocolaty smell of the mulch is attractive to dogs, that sometimes eat it. The mulch contains a chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs.

Even if you don’t own a dog, this product is probably not something you would want to use in any location where dogs might pass by.

The mulch causes gastrointestinal upset when dogs consume it at low doses. At high doses, it can cause gastrointestinal obstruction, tachycardia, muscle tremors and seizures. If your dog eats this mulch, immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435).