Before you toss money into an alarm system, make sure you haven't overlooked far simpler ways to keep peace of mind.
Learn about these important safety tips to prevent home burglary.
The old adage that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" couldn't be applied better than in protecting your home from burglary. Before you toss money into an alarm system, follow these tips to prevent home burglary and make sure you haven't overlooked far simpler ways to keep peace of mind.
1. Never leave a note on your door for a family member indicating that you are out and will return shortly.
2. Measure all your windows and sliding glass doors and brace them closed with 2 inch-wide wooden sticks. A single lock on a window or door is not enough.
3. Get an unlisted phone number.
Friends can get your number when they need it, but annoying solicitors or thieves will not be able to call at random and ascertain whether or not you are at home. And don't leave your number on an answering machine. People you know already have your number.
4. You've heard it before, but do it! Engrave your name and driver's license number on anything you want to keep.
5. Try to use a P.O. Box on your car registration. Mechanics or parking attendants can easily pop open the glove box and discover a great deal about you. Don't make it easy.
6. Always ask service people for full I.D. before allowing them to enter.
(Country Lore, November 1994)