FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mother Earth News Dishes Up Top Artisan Ice Cream Companies
Publication honors 20 small producers that integrate sustainable ingredients and practices
TOPEKA, Kan. (July 25, 2011) — With temperatures topping triple digits, what better way to cool off than with a tasty scoop of ice cream? Consider grabbing a pint crafted by artisans with an eye on flavor and sustainability for your next frozen fix.
To recognize these producers, Mother Earth News names its “Top 20 Artisan Ice Cream Companies” in its August/September issue, on newsstands July 26.
These companies use a variety of sustainable production methods, including sourcing local and hormone-free dairy and locally grown, organic and Fair Trade fruits, herbs and other flavors. Many also use compostable packaging and renewable energy in their facilities, and give back to their local communities in a variety of ways.
Mother Earth News has selected the following “Top 20 Artisan Ice Cream Companies”:
- The Bent Spoon, Princeton, N.J.
- Big Dipper Ice Cream, Missoula, Mont.
- Boulder Ice Cream, Boulder, Colo.
- Hot Licks Homemade Ice Cream, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Iwig Family Dairy, Tecumseh, Kan.
- Jake’s Ice Cream, Atlanta.
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, Columbus, Ohio
- Loco Pops, Durham, N.C.
- Mallard Ice Cream, Bellingham, Wash.
- Mission Hill Creamery, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream, Seattle.
- Moomers Homemade Ice Cream, Traverse City, Mich.
- Mount Desert Island Ice Cream, Bar Harbor, Maine
- Munnerlyn’s Ice Creamery, Pine Grove, Calif.
- Nice Cream, Chicago.
- Tahoe Creamery, Minden, Nev.
- Tropical Dreams, Kamuela, Hawaii
- Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream, New York.
- Woodside Farm Creamery, Hockessin, Del.
- YoLo, Memphis, Tenn.
Mother Earth News began compiling the list by asking readers to submit their favorite artisan, local and sustainable ice cream companies via Facebook, with more than 225 responses.
About Mother Earth News
Mother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com) is the Original Guide to Living Wisely. Launched in 1970, each bimonthly issue of Mother Earth News features practical and money-saving information on organic gardening; do-it-yourself projects; cutting energy costs; using renewable energy; green home building and remodeling; rural living; and conscientious, self-sufficient lifestyles.
About Ogden Publications
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable living, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Natural Home & Garden, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also produces environmentally friendly housewares through Natural Home Products LLC, and provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
# # #