FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Start planning your dream homestead at Mother Earth News Fair
40-plus workshops show how to select and raise livestock, garden, preserve food and more
TOPEKA, Kan. (Aug. 30, 2010) — Whether you have 10 acres in the country or live downtown, you can turn your place into a more self-reliant homestead.
At the Mother Earth News Fair, slated for Sept. 25-26 at Seven Springs Mountain Resort near Pittsburgh, homesteaders can choose from more than 40 hands-on demonstrations and seminars on everything from choosing the right chickens to making soap and preserving food.
Featured homesteading speakers and topics include:
- Lindsey Butkiewicus – Alpaca Fiber 101
- Cindy Conner – planning a sustainable vegetable garden
- Stacy Cunningham – water supply and treatment for ponds, river and well water
- Daniel Danford – rainwater harvesting
- Carol Ekarius – poultry breeds
- Darrell Frey – permaculture for farms
- Margo Hale and Linda Coffey – introduction to raising sheep and goats
- Kathy Harrison – root cellaring; acquiring food for food preservation; drying food
- John Ivanko – powering your homestead with renewable energy
- Jim Meyer – using solar energy to stop nighttime predators
- Lewis Morrow – beginning rotational grazing
- Deborah Niemann-Boehle – soapmaking; bread baking
- Andy Pressman – small-plot-intensive farming concepts, plantings, tools and infrastructure
- Brian Rosa – vermicomposting and farm composting
- Ryan Rowinski – urban farming policy
- Don Shrider, Jeannette Beranger and Marjorie Bender – selecting heritage chickens
- Larry and Eileen Traver – raising pigs
- Don Webb – maximizing your land ownership experience
- Michael R. Wurzbacher – masonry heaters, stoves and ovens
- Matt Wilkinson – small-scale home meat processing
- James Zitting – simplified, sustainable beekeeping
The Mother Earth News Fair will offer more than 200 sessions on homesteading, small-scale livestock, DIY projects, renewable energy, organic gardening, real food, green building and remodeling, renewable energy, green transportation, natural health and related topics.
Attendees also can take part in vendor, livestock and craft demonstrations, a seed swap, artisan food tastings, children’s projects, live music, a green shopping pavilion, local and organic food, and resort activities.
Tickets cost $15 for a one-day adult pass or $25 for both days. Children and teenagers under 17 are free. To order, go to http://tickets.7springs.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=69 or call (800) 234-3368.
Call (866) 437-1300 for lodging information and reservations at Seven Springs Mountain Resort.
About Mother Earth News
Mother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com) is the Original Guide to Living Wisely. Topics include organic gardening, do-it-yourself projects, cutting energy costs, using renewable energy, green home building and rural living.
About Ogden Publications Inc.
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable living, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Natural Home, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
About Seven-Star Inc.
Seven-Star Inc. (www.sevenstarevents.com) is the nation’s largest full-service event company focusing exclusively on green events. Since 1999, Seven-Star has provided turnkey green event services for trade and consumer expositions, conferences, concerts and mobile tours, including the 2008 Democratic National Convention, Live Earth concert events and the Green Festivals.
About Seven Springs Mountain Resort
Seven Springs Mountain Resort (www.7springs.com), located in Seven Springs, Pa., is the perfect place for family vacations that create lifelong memories. Each year the family-friendly resort hosts more than 1 million overnight and day guests, who enjoy a vacation that includes the finest skiing, snowboarding and golf that Pennsylvania has to offer, the exhilaration of sporting clays, and the luxurious Trillium Spa.
# # #
FOLLOW MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR:
Updates via e-newsletter: http://www.MotherEarthNews.com/fairupdates