FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Andrew Perkins, event director: 785-274-4378, firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandy Ernzen, brand manager: 785-274-4304785-274-4304785-274-4304, email@example.com
PUYALLUP EVENT OFFERS ATTENDEES CRASH COURSES FOR LIVING ON LESS
Mother Earth News Fair brings unique perspectives from national and regional sustainability experts
PUYALLUP (May 12, 2014) — Interested in producing your own food and shelter as a means to slash those ever-rising bills? Find out how at Puyallup’s fourth annual Mother Earth News Fair.
The event takes place May 31-June 1 at the Washington State Fair Events Center in Puyallup. The Fair runs 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
In addition, nationally known keynote speakers will offer attendees perspective on broader sustainability issues, including:
- Actor, activist and author Ed Begley Jr., details the changes he has made to “green” his life and shows how others can do the same by finding environmentally friendly resources and communities. This keynote is presented by Envirolet.
- Organic farmer and author Joel Salatin identifies modern society’s orthodoxies and offers ways to chart a different path for "integrity living." Salatin’s Polyface Farm was featured in the documentary Food, Inc.
- Bob Moore, founder of Bob’s Red Mill, talks about the value of including whole grains daily as part of a healthy diet. Moore provides current information on nutrition before and during pregnancy and during the first 1,000 days of life.
- Vashon’s Jo Robinson shares how society has bred phytonutrients out of produce for hundreds of generations, and which present-day varieties have more of these compounds than others. Robinson gives tips on which grow best in the Northwest and healthy ways to prepare them.
- Toby Hemenway suggests how permaculture offers ecologically based solutions to help create a just and sustainable society. Hemenway wrote Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture.
More than 200 hands-on workshops will cover organic gardening, preparing and preserving food, renewable energy, small-scale livestock, green building, natural health, green transportation, and related topics. Sustainable and rural lifestyle experts from across the country will lead the sessions.
The Fair also will host children’s activities; heritage-breed livestock; an alternative fuel vehicle display; country skills and vendor demonstrations; and local and organic food options.
Adult tickets cost $25 for the weekend or $20 for a one-day pass if purchased in advance, or $30 and $25, respectively, at the gate. Children under 17 get in free. To purchase advance tickets, go to www.MotherEarthNewsFair.com or call toll-free 800-234-3368.
Mother Earth News Fair sponsors include Agrilicious, Bob’s Red Mill, Botanical Interests, Coconut Bliss, Envirolet, EZ Animal Products, Johnny’s Selected Seeds, Klean Kanteen, Mountain Rose Herbs, Nature’s Flavors, Premier 1, Purina, Theo Chocolate, Washington Tractor and Yanmar America.
About Mother Earth News
Mother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com), the Original Guide to Living Wisely, covers organic gardening, cooking and food preservation, natural health, do-it-yourself projects, renewable energy, and all aspects of rural and urban homesteading.
About Ogden Publications Inc.
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable lifestyle, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Mother Earth Living, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also produces environmentally friendly housewares through Natural Home Products LLC, and provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
# # #