FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
K.C. Compton, senior editor: 785-274-4357, email@example.com
Brandy Ernzen, brand manager: 785-274-4304, firstname.lastname@example.org
NATIONAL MAGAZINE HONORS PORT TOWNSEND FOR SUSTAINABLE INITIATIVES
Mother Earth News recognizes city as a ‘Great Place You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of’
PORT TOWNSEND (Sept. 13, 2012) – Port Townsend has earned a spot on Mother Earth News’ annual “Great Places You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of” list. Mother Earth News, the leading magazine dedicated to sustainable living, features eight communities in its October-November issue, on sale Sept. 25.
In addition to its scenic beauty and outdoor recreation options, Port Townsend ranks highly for:
- The renaissance of its National Historic Landmark District
- Strong community involvement in the food co-op, the economic development council, and Local 20/20’s proposal to transition from a private to a public power utility
- Locally owned Power Trip Energy’s installation of 1 megawatt of photovoltaic energy on more than 250 buildings, helping the county rank No. 1 in solar installations across the state
- Thriving and original local businesses, such as resident Rick Oltman’s fishing business, with bicycle delivery of orders delivered to local restaurants and farmers markets
- Resident James Frazier’s Local Investment Opportunities Network (LION) to get residents’ investments out of Wall Street and onto Main Street
“Port Townsend ‘gets’ the spirit of community – and what it takes to work together – to make great things happen,” says K.C. Compton, senior editor for the magazine.
The Great Places list serves as a fun way to recognize cities and towns that demonstrate positive civic energy, invest in the local economy and develop meaningful environmental initiatives. Nominations come from Mother Earth News readers, social media communities and staff.
The other cities selected for this year’s list are Charleston, S.C.; Denton, Texas; Dover, N.H.; Golden, Colo.; Hilo, Hawaii; Lawrence, Kan.; and Red Lodge, Mont.
About Mother Earth News
Mother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com) is the Original Guide to Living Wisely. Topics include organic gardening, do-it-yourself projects, cutting energy costs, using renewable energy, green home building and rural living.
About Ogden Publications Inc.
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable lifestyle, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also produces environmentally friendly housewares through Natural Home Products LLC, and provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
# # #