FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
K.C. Compton, senior editor: 785-274-4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandy Ernzen, brand manager: 785-274-4304, email@example.com
NATIONAL MAGAZINE HONORS GOLDEN FOR SUSTAINABLE INITIATIVES
Mother Earth News recognizes city as a ‘Great Place You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of’
GOLDEN (Sept. 13, 2012) – Golden has earned a spot on Mother Earth News’ annual “Great Places You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of” list. Mother Earth News, the leading magazine dedicated to sustainable living, features eight communities in its October-November issue, on sale Sept. 25.
In addition to its eclectic mix of museums and host duties for U.S.A. Cycling’s Pro Cycling Challenge, Golden ranks highly for:
- The MillerCoors brewery’s use of its boilers to supply hot water for industrial processes and steam for turbines as well as providing part of the School of Mines’ heat
- The resolution to power 50 percent of the city’s facilities with renewable energy by 2017
- The city’s many outdoor recreation options, including hiking, biking, kayaking and skiing
- A citizen-led effort to “save the mesas” from development, preserving 3,400 acres of open space
- The U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Renewable Energy Laboratory’s work to incubate solar, wind and other green energy technologies
- Its colorful Wild West and Prohibition history, which the city still celebrates
“While Golden honors its unique past, it also has its eye on the future with innovative open space and renewable energy programs to protect its natural resources,” says K.C. Compton, senior editor for the magazine.
The Great Places list serves as a fun way to recognize cities and towns that demonstrate positive civic energy, invest in the local economy and develop meaningful environmental initiatives. Nominations come from Mother Earth News readers, social media communities and staff.
The other cities selected for this year’s list are Charleston, S.C.; Denton, Texas; Dover, N.H.; Hilo, Hawaii; Lawrence, Kan.; Port Townsend, Wash.; and Red Lodge, Mont.
About Mother Earth News
Mother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com) is the Original Guide to Living Wisely. Topics include organic gardening, do-it-yourself projects, cutting energy costs, using renewable energy, green home building and rural living.
About Ogden Publications Inc.
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable lifestyle, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also produces environmentally friendly housewares through Natural Home Products LLC, and provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
# # #