NATIONAL MAGAZINE HONORS DOVER FOR SUSTAINABLE INITIATIVES
Mother Earth News recognizes city as a ‘Great Place You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of’
DOVER (Sept. 13, 2012) – Dover has earned a spot on Mother Earth News’ annual “Great Places You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of” list. Mother Earth News, the leading magazine dedicated to sustainable living, features eight communities in its October-November issue, on sale Sept. 25.
In addition to its centuries-old history and low unemployment, Dover ranks highly for:
- Quality-of-life projects such as open space preservation and riverfront redevelopment to attract new business
- The Children’s Museum of New Hampshire and other family-friendly cultural options
- The City of Dover’s facilities upgrades, which save $300,000 every year in utility bills
- Plentiful outdoor recreation opportunities and diverse wildlife
- The city and Strafford Rivers Conservancy’s purchase of development rights to the Tuttle Farm, America’s oldest family farm, enabling future conservation of the property
“Dover could have become just another rusty mill town, but its citizens worked with their government to create a modern, vibrant place to live,” says K.C. Compton, senior editor for the magazine.
The Great Places list serves as a fun way to recognize cities and towns that demonstrate positive civic energy, invest in the local economy and develop meaningful environmental initiatives. Nominations come from Mother Earth News readers, social media communities and staff.
The other cities selected for this year’s list are Charleston, S.C.; Denton, Texas; Golden, Colo.; Hilo, Hawaii; Lawrence, Kan.; Port Townsend, Wash.; and Red Lodge, Mont.
About Mother Earth News
Mother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com) is the Original Guide to Living Wisely. Topics include organic gardening, do-it-yourself projects, cutting energy costs, using renewable energy, green home building and rural living.
About Ogden Publications Inc.
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable lifestyle, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also produces environmentally friendly housewares through Natural Home Products LLC, and provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
# # #