FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
K.C. Compton, senior editor: 785-274-4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandy Ernzen, brand manager: 785-274-4304, email@example.com
NATIONAL MAGAZINE HONORS DENTON FOR SUSTAINABLE INITIATIVES
Mother Earth News recognizes city as a ‘Great Place You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of’
DENTON (Sept. 13, 2012) – Denton has earned a spot on Mother Earth News’ annual “Great Places You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of” list. Mother Earth News, the leading magazine dedicated to sustainable living, features eight communities in its October-November issue, on sale Sept. 25.
Denton ranks highly for:
- Its vibrant local music scene
- Generating 40 percent of its electricity from wind, making it the country’s highest per capita wind-energy consumer
- A revitalized downtown, driving more business and cultural opportunities for residents
- The University of North Texas’ LEED Platinum Apogee Stadium
- The city’s efficient lighting retrofits in its facilities, which will save $125,000 annually
- The municipal landfill, which produces enough electricity from biogas (1.6 megawatts) to power 1,600 homes
“Denton marches to the beat of its own drummer, both in its eclectic music scene and leading the way in using clean energy,” says K.C. Compton, senior editor for the magazine.
The Great Places list serves as a fun way to recognize cities and towns that demonstrate positive civic energy, invest in the local economy and develop meaningful environmental initiatives. Nominations come from Mother Earth News readers, social media communities and staff.
The other cities selected for this year’s list are Charleston, S.C.; Dover, N.H.; Golden, Colo.; Hilo, Hawaii; Lawrence, Kan.; Port Townsend, Wash.; and Red Lodge, Mont.
About Mother Earth News
Mother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com) is the Original Guide to Living Wisely. Topics include organic gardening, do-it-yourself projects, cutting energy costs, using renewable energy, green home building and rural living.
About Ogden Publications Inc.
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable lifestyle, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also produces environmentally friendly housewares through Natural Home Products LLC, and provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
# # #