Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

White House Launches Farmers Market

9/15/2009 5:53:43 PM

Tags: farmers markets, White House, legislation, food policy

The White House is about to launch an open-to-the-public farmers market this week. Situated on the north side of the White House lawn, the weekly market will offer D.C.-area residents (and visitors) the opportunity to purchase fresh food directly from the farmers who grew it. The White House farmers market is one initiative among others, such as the White House organic food garden, that serves as a symbol to the rest of the United States that the current administration is supportive of small food producers and sustainable, healthy food systems.

In her announcement at the Chefs Collaborative National Summit today, Ann Wright, the Deputy Under Secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs at the U.S. Department of Agriculture, said that whereas the USDA previously has not placed an emphasis on small, rural, local and sustainable food production, the current administration is fully supportive of these endeavors. According to Wright, the White House farmers market will launch Thursday, Sept. 17.

As the Number of Farmers Markets Grows, Join Their Ranks

As the number of farmers markets grows, now may be the perfect time to join in on the market gardeni...

Wabi-Sabi Wednesday: Clean Enough

Wabi-sabi is never slobby, but we can allow ourselves to stop trying so hard and just appreciate our...

Build a Houseboat

Here is a plan for how to build your own floating cabin, "The Live Aboard Houseboat."

Solar Panels Are Back on the White House Roof!

The Obama administration announced yesterday that it will place solar panels and a solar hot water h...

james_93
9/26/2009 2:16:42 PM
The fact is obama and our government wants globalization to succeed. Now, if you are for farmers markets, gardening and a sustainable lifestyle then you should not agree with this very obvious plan that is being conducted. We all have a sense of paranoia, it is natural, but the truth is we need to stay optimistic and not rely on the government to help the local and beyond organic movement (I say beyond organic and local, because organic is the most tampered with word ever) succeed. These people in our government do not live lives like us, therefore they do not have the same interests as us. To depend on them to help us out is ludicrous, we need to get back to community living, our neighbors understand what we want, not corporations or government, no matter how persuading their advertising is. People please read some Pollan, Berry, Astyk, Howard. The facts are out their. Go find them. IBM, Monsanto, Dupont, ADM, and so on have no interest in you, so don't be interested in them.

D.r.
9/26/2009 10:17:28 AM
While there is a lot of fear, paranoia, and hate in this world, there is none of that in mine. Personally, I believe the word hate gets thrown around too much. And as for fear and paranoia, I guess the thirst for knowledge can be mistaken for that. Here is a link to something I came across that put a wrench in my excitement for the Obama's change. http://gmwatch.org/latest-listing/1-news-items/11531-more-monsanto-men-joining-obama-administration

Donna_58
9/26/2009 9:04:26 AM
Can't we even have an article about a garden at the White House without the fear,paranoia,and hate? Enough already! Apparently common sense is dead.

D.r.
9/26/2009 8:45:38 AM
I'm all for attempting to get more of a movement going for local farmers markets and organic growing practices, so I give credit to the White House for being in on it too. But I don't think they are genuine about it. If they were, they wouldn't have so many ex Monsanto heads sitting in their Agricultural agencies, and Obama wouldn't have just hired another one! So MC I think you should invest in a little Monsanto stock, their definitely not going anywhere but up. People need to research before they willingly swallow the words and "public" actions of our government and everyone else they come across.

Mary_4
9/26/2009 7:13:21 AM
The Obama's are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I do not envy them their position. Kudos to them for their efforts to make citizens aware that becoming more self sufficient is the smart thing to do if you believe in the Obama agenda or not. Some people are just determined to tear apart everything they do even if it's as innocent as organic gardening. Boo-hiss to all you nay-sayers.

Barbara Pleasant_3
9/26/2009 6:12:03 AM
Anger takes time to heal. Just for a minute, imagine you don't know who is in the White House. This no-name, no-party president is setting an example by growing an organic food garden and supporting a new farmers market. I this not what you want your leader to do?

Doug Echols
9/25/2009 9:39:20 PM
In my life's observations, Farmers/gardeners were always the most thoughtful of people since they spend so many hours toiling alone with their thoughts, plants and animals. Usually patient and thoughtful which also seems to be a job requirement for gardening/Farming. The White House had prior tenants that did spray and poison the land. Anyone who wants to be organic must farm that land organically for some years before those poisons work them selves out of the soil. Meanwhile you garden/farm organically, restoring god's good earth back to it's former Pre Monsanto glory. Not too complicated really. Maybe the bile and bitter words and feelings expressed in the comments can be composted! They could be turned back into the black, sweet smelling, organic compost that heals and sustains damaged earth. The ill will expressed certainly doesn't help with our clean air needs either. The fall is when the earth is most abundant around DC. Apples, grapes, root crops, greens, grains, squashes and gourds, nuts and seeds galore, fish, fowl and meats too all within 20 to 30 miles of the White House! Come see How we husband the land and waters here in VA, MD, DE. My suggestion to the excessive fees charged in OR? Spread the word! Your customers will straighten out those tax and fee collectors if it has to be added to their good quality food prices! We are all in this small world together. Signed, DE,Whole Earth Catalog/ Mother Earth News reader from 1st issue..

Dianne_14
9/25/2009 6:07:22 PM
Well, gee whiz, the farmer's market is going to open in late September. Wow, I can see it now, tomatoes from Florida, cucumbers from Texas. Now there is a good chance that the lettuce and greens could be local. Get real folks, this is just another try at diverting out attention from what obama (lower case intentional) is doing to our country. I'm all for farmers markets in the cities. But how many of you have ever tried to sell at them? I have, and before I make my first penny, it will cost me over $600 in fees to set up a booth at a farmer's market here in Oregon. Of course, that $600 doesn't include soil, seed, time, effort and all the rest that goes into growing produce or vegie plants for sale. Maybe some of the farmer's markets, need a little overhaul too.

katalyst
9/25/2009 5:15:04 PM
It amazes me that this got press. It is old news, it is not news at all and the Obama's care as much about us farmers as the photo op this provides. I am wading in a sea of Obamas and now it is here. Gimme a break. When DC cares about organic farming and sustainable living, we will see meaningful changes made, not token pats on the head to homesteaders.

Amy_7
9/25/2009 3:14:14 PM
I read somewhere that Michelle Obama tried to get the garden certified as officially organic, but the rules and regulations were just way too complicated for her. Now remember, that she is a highly honored lawyer...and we little farmers are suppose to figure these rules out!

David_134
9/25/2009 2:55:54 PM
I am pleased to see that the Obama's aren't completely misguided in all of their beliefs. The President's current agenda for the most part is going to destroy this country if it continues, and all of us who are self sufficient, and have organic gardens and farms will be the only ones who will have food to eat and a place to live. Instead of bailing out all of these failed businesses, and paying off political favors, I would love for some of that money to go towards victory gardens in poor areas, support of (real)organic farmers and homesteaders, and education. I'm not completely buying into Obama's support too much though. Planting a little garden and having a farmer's market does give a little bit of attention to the topic, but it is really a lot of fluff if you don't change policy and actually put your money where your mouth is.

Scott_49
9/25/2009 12:44:48 PM
I wish people would try to see the positives. When Michelle Obama planted a garden, It was a good example and good for gardeners. When she went out to various schools and helped students plant gardens, it created interest in gardening among young people. You could see the kids were excited about gardening and can bet some of them took it home. Try not to guess the motives behind actions and look at the actions themselves. The current administration is fully supportive of small, rural, local and sustainable food production. It was a wonderful move to showcase it in a location that is so visible to the public. I am a member of a local farmer's market and am pleased to see the market at the White House location.

ALAN JONES_1
9/25/2009 9:40:32 AM
Oh h--- no. I want to be as far as possible from the white house with my farm market. Can you even imagine the rules and regulations?

Dave_60
9/25/2009 9:33:06 AM
I wonder which of Michelles 22 staff members will have to do the weeding at $300.00/hour????

Dave_60
9/25/2009 9:27:40 AM
I planted a very large and prosperous garden myself for the first time in my life, (at 50) and bought 25 chickens, and I oqe it all to the White House. Not because they set any kind of good example, but because they scare me so much. I feel better now that I'm prepared for the coming depression and civil war these socialists will cause.

Dave_60
9/25/2009 9:26:21 AM

MC_2
9/21/2009 4:49:41 PM
Oh. Sorry. I forgot to label my sarcasm. And I'm not being sarcastic this time. Sometimes I forget. I'm glad to see this. Though I hope-- as distinct from believe-- that it's one of the better we've had in a while, I don't like a lot of what this administration does. I do like this, and it does please me. I just hope-- without a whole lot of faith-- that it's actually representative of something more than a photo-op. And I hope-- with less faith-- that it will actually inspire "us people down here on the ground" to do something. I'd like to see a White House clothesline, too. Then maybe DH-- and the tens of millions of suburbanites he represents-- would see the clothesline and the garden as "good ideas" instead of "extremism".

J Yellowbird
9/20/2009 4:22:48 PM
I think that that is AWESOME It is about time Washington takes a good look at other ways to do things besides the Norm ..This country was built on Farmers markets and roadside stands . Sadly they have fallen to the victims of time but they are not gone it is time for people to remember the old ways of life such as canning ,making there own things ...and with the economy now it does come in handy

Kevin_3
9/16/2009 3:04:26 PM
I like this. Of all the things I may disagree with what is going on in Washington I am glad to see they are trying to set an example for people on how we should be buying our food. (Of course I just can't picture Michelle in a apron canning green beans but you never know).

sf
9/16/2009 10:57:29 AM
It does not say "certified" organic. It states organic as in organic growing methods were used. There is a difference. At least there is an effort to get people to think about where their food comes from. I'm amazed at how many people are just unhappy no matter what this administration does. It's either too much all at once or not enough right away. Some people just won't be happy no matter what you do.

sally oakley
9/16/2009 10:45:32 AM
calling the white house garden "organic" is not exactly accurate. according to "organic" growing rules, the land has to have been unsprayed and untreated for at least three years. ok, so tell me that the groundskeepers used no grass fertilizers or weed killers in the last three years and i'll back your claim.. otherwise, this dumbing down and glossing over the VERY important details of what organic stands for is just another in the long line of slowly brain-washing the public to a re-defining of a long-standing tradition of what organic farmers have been forced to endure before the government co-opted the organic "bumper sticker". secondly: it's all well and good to have a farmer's market in the heart of dc, but what about winter? when will we get it in to our thick skulls that buying local does not stop at halloween??? mis-guided lip-service to a very current and serious issue. thanks for letting me donate my 2 cents.

ps
9/16/2009 10:31:06 AM
You can't please some people.

MC_2
9/15/2009 7:40:56 PM
This is another facist, centralized, socialist policy move, right??? Or is it just posturing for a photo op, the image of wholesomeness, while the policies the ignorant celebrity puppets set turn out to be everything but???? A hot tip says I should buy stock in Monsanto. Food demand is going nowhere but up; they are poised to exploit it. I think I'd maybe rather try to eat my morals.