When to plant each crop — it’s a classic query for every gardener. Well, now, there’s an app for that! Get the growing information you need, right at your fingertips, with our handy When to Plant app.
People are taking note of just how helpful this easy-to-use app is. In fact, When to Plant was recently featured in Wired magazine’s App Guide as one of the best apps in the gardening category — very exciting! Here’s what this app can do for you:
• Uses your ZIP code and a database of about 5,000 weather stations across North American to customize planting information to your exact location and climate
• Finds your average last spring and first fall frost dates and shows you the range of planting dates for more than 120 vegetables, herbs, fruits, flowers and cover crops
• Offers multiple views, so you can click on a specific crop for the best planting-time window, or you can click on a particular month and see all of the crops that can be planted at that time in your area
• Provides basic growing information for each crop, including preferred soil type, sun requirements and recommended spacing
• Provides sowing and harvesting how-to tips
• Provides access to National Weather Service long-range forecast maps (U.S. only) so you can see projected temperatures, precipitation, weather hazards and drought
Get in gear for spring by giving the When to Plant app a try. The app is designed for iPhone and iPad, and is available in the Apple App Store for $1.99.
Shelley Stonebrook is MOTHER EARTH NEWS magazine’s main gardening editor. She’s passionate about growing healthy, sustainable food and taking care of our environment. Follow her on Twitter, Pinterest and Google+.
Discover a dazzling array of workshops and lectures designed to get you further down the path to independence and self-reliance.LEARN MORE