When to Plant Icon      When to Plant App

The When to Plant app is available now for $1.99!

Knowing the best times to start seeds, direct sow and transplant garden crops is key to growing a successful garden. Our When to Plant app — recommended in Wired magazine's App Guide as a Top Pick for gardening apps — gives you the best planting times for vegetables, herbs, fruit, cover crops and common companion planting flowers.   App Store Logo

By using your ZIP code and a database of almost 5,000 weather stations across North America, the When to Plant app locates average frost dates for your garden from the nearest station, and calculates the best range of planting dates for each crop.

This app is a helpful tool for spring, summer and fall planting. You can specify that the app recommend separate spring and fall planting times for cool-season crops in areas with hot summers or long growing seasons. The app includes planting times and growing information on more than 120 crops and plants.

The When to Plant app is available in the Apple App Store for $1.99 and is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. For information about other apps by MOTHER EARTH NEWS (including several available for Android), see our Wiser Living Apps info page.

Here is a glimpse of the When to Plant app, plus more about what it can do:

When to Plant App Screen Shots

From the app’s home page, you can choose to view plants alphabetically (by clicking “All Plants”), by sowing month or by crops that can be planted immediately in your area. You can also mark crops as your favorites, and easily view just your favorites list.

Click on any crop or plant in the When to Plant app, and you can see the “window” of time in which you can direct sow, start seeds indoors, plant out, and harvest that crop based on the frost dates in your ZIP code.

The different colored lines show different planting info: The blue line shows when you can start seeds indoors, the green line shows when you can direct sow seeds or plant out transplants, and the orange line shows the range of possible harvest dates for the crop.

The When to Plant app also includes growing information on each of the dozens of crops and plants included. Click on a crop to learn its crop family, preferred soil type, sun requirements, sowing instructions, troubleshooting tips, recommended spacing, how to harvest, and more.

The app provides easy access to National Weather Service long-range forecast maps (U.S. only). You can see maps projecting temperature, precipitation, weather hazards and drought.

Try the When to Plant app now. This easy-to-use app will save you time and help you grow a successful, bountiful garden!

Don't have a phone? Try our Vegetable Garden Planner program, which offers this planting date information and much more on your PC or Mac computer.

zenme
5/2/2014 7:35:30 AM
check this link /home/dave/Desktop/A Crop-by-Crop Guide to Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits: Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide - Organic Gardening - MOTHER EARTH NEWS.html

Rich
4/27/2014 1:56:47 PM
Does the when to plant app work in Hawaii

TheGlue
4/4/2014 8:25:18 AM
A year and a half later and still no android app...have you fine gentlemen not read any of the other comments? Like around 90% of them are about android wishes...the app market does not solely revolve around Apple...it's hard for me to support you when the money I want to spend can't reach you....

DruidJo
3/21/2014 9:51:54 PM
I would love to use this tool, sadly, I do not have an iphone.....or android.....or any cell phone. I wish that I could just download it.

rosweed
3/21/2014 11:02:30 AM
You are missing a huge segment of the market - the majority, actually - who use Android phones. Why companies continue to trumpet their new iApp while ignoring the growing Android market baffles me.

cbnathank
2/3/2014 7:37:35 PM
I actually used this web series guide last year, and received REALLY great results. I highly recommend it. http://035fcxvwsvtpmkub1ky9dem5fb.hop.clickbank.net/

scgardenlady
1/24/2014 12:29:05 PM
When will you have an App for Android? This is a great App and would love to have it on my phone. Please, please make this App. Thanks!

CHARLYSGARDENPLACEG
1/4/2014 8:18:07 PM
For $1.99 - half the price of my latte - I can have this in-hand, in my garden or at my desk, when and where I need it. I haven't tried it to see how well it works, but will definitely check it out. I like SmartGardener, but when I last checked, they didn't have an app. As for me, I use multiple tools, and enjoy all their features to cover many different needs.

Bryan Peretto
12/23/2013 7:25:43 AM
I'm with Christena, smartgardener.com does everything this app does and more - for free. And you don't need to have an overpriced and under-powered Apple product to use it.

Christena
12/19/2013 9:32:34 PM
Check out http://www.smartgardener.com/ -- it's FREE! I had never planted a single thing in my entire life, & this tool helped me plant a full-on veggie/herb garden last weekend here in Southern California. My fingers are crossed for a successful spring harvest!

Julianne Macomber
12/19/2013 3:51:56 PM
This is awesome. Growing food needs to be easier! One of the hardest things about vegetable gardening is organizing. If you don't have a Mac phone, territorial seeds website had a garden designing and planning program you can use on the pc, Mac, phone, whatever you have. It will email notify when you need to plant what you have. Check it out. I think it's called garden planner.

Anabell Jones
12/19/2013 1:29:20 PM
How about one for Android phones. iPhones are too expensive and not worth the extra cost when compared to Android phones. I want to spend that money saved on gardening.

MELISSAH
12/19/2013 7:35:22 AM
ihoe, irake, iplant, iwater, iharvest - i don't have an iphone, ipod, ipad or ianything. i do have a pc. Could you create an app for the rest of us? Please?

Tanya Fox-Albin
12/19/2013 12:04:23 AM
I agree with many of you. I don't have a smart phone, and if I do get one it'll be an Android. It would be great to see these tools available to just use on my pc (and Mac of those of you that have them.)

JDore
12/12/2013 5:01:41 AM
@dscribner - please contact us for support via this page and we'll be very happy to help you: http://gardenplanner.motherearthnews.com/contact.aspx

dscribner
11/1/2013 8:25:05 AM
I just purchased this app and it loaded my address and then froze up pn me.I can't do anything with it now.Can anyone help me

Jessi Peters
10/18/2013 10:57:55 AM
If you release this for android, I will buy it and every other app you've got!

swtearth
9/8/2013 9:34:18 AM
Mother Earth fixed my problem! Love this app! Good for the novice and experienced gardener. You can custom set your frost dates if it doesn't set exactly right based on zip code or town. Just keep scrolling forward until you come to the page to custom set it. You can also click on the top, red tab of each vegetable, herb or fruit description to put it in a favorites folder. If you are one of the few that has a problem with the app: shut it down, turn off your phone, then turn on your phone again and everything should work fine, There is so much info here. Soil, fertilizer, light and spacing requirements, harvest info, as well as when to sew seeds indoors, outdoors, plant seedlings and harvest. There are also temperature and rain maps. This is something that, as a Master Gardener with previous knowledge and gardening experience, I will really use. Well done, Mother Earth. Thank you.

dovecanyon
9/6/2013 11:29:36 AM
To Eric Douglas and Sharon Shope: It is bluestacks (plural), not bluestack.

dj2trees
8/26/2013 10:16:45 PM
Also did you check out their desktop software it looks awesome! http://www.motherearthnews.com/garden-planner/vegetable-garden-planner.aspx#axzz2d8TKqK5N

dj2trees
8/26/2013 10:14:01 PM
Patience friend - I am sure they have that in their plans! I have always seen apps come out first for one platform and then given a little time it comes out for the other platform. I say bravo for all the apps coming our way to help us grow more food! Hooray! BTW take your extra food grown this year to the local food bank! I shall try both apps mentioned in this comment thread!

GrouchyGardener
7/15/2013 6:20:04 AM

So anyone who doesn't use an iOS device is not worth your time?

I cannot imagine why Mother Earth News doesn't just find app designers for both iOS and Android and design its own bloody apps so you can get in on the market, make some money and stop alienating your Android-using customers.

Until then, I will continue to visit my state's University Extension site for gardening information.

KERRYF
7/13/2013 11:38:50 PM

It would be nice to see the apps offered by M.E.N. available for PC and Android. Is there any plan to do to this?

sirikay
6/22/2013 4:37:32 PM

A great free app is Garden Compass http://bit.ly/15tQ29B

Take a pic of a plant, pest or disease, with your phone or pad and submit it through the app to a team of live, expert horticultural Garden Advisors who will identify it for you and provide suggestions.  Updated every couple of weeks with new functions based on customer interactions, Garden Compass will be completely redesigned by the end of Summer 2013 and include the ability to shop for plants and remedies as well as unique garden related products not found many other places.

For now you can be on a pleasure stroll, see a plant you love but don't know what it is and find out pretty quickly and easily.  Ultimately, the Garden Compass App has an algorithm that is learning all of the now manual submissions so that it will automatically identify plants and pests.  For now, you get the pleasure of human contact and personal interaction which means you can get very specific in your questions and have a lovely garden even if you're a new gardener.

Available in the itunes app store now. Android version being relased soon...the worldwide response to this app has been overwhelming in the few weeks since it launched so the company had to hold off releasing Android in order to beef up the large Garden Advisor team on staff.

Dennis Fink
4/6/2013 12:26:07 PM
Need Android or PC app!

Sharon Shope
3/25/2013 4:37:13 PM
I just went to Bluestack.com and it is a construction company.

MONA GRIFFIN
3/10/2013 7:40:34 PM
Is this available for my PC? I don't have those fancy I tools! I stick with the basics.

Linda Welbourne
3/10/2013 6:25:33 AM
when will Android be included in apps offered by you?

Monika Szigeti
3/8/2013 9:57:47 PM
Could you make an app covering other areas including Australia?

Stephanie Ford
2/24/2013 2:52:58 PM
Would REALLY love it if you made your apps available on the Android Market as well. Like so many other users, I too have an Android tablet and Smartphone. I would love to be able to use these apps but can't... :(

Thumper Pruitt
2/9/2013 3:46:48 PM
This would be great if they had a web based version and an Android based version. I use an Android tablet and smartphone and this would be a great app for that.

VicH
2/6/2013 1:39:52 AM
I would like it as a Internet item, you can download for the computer. Not App. -way to small.

Gale Thomas-Goodman
1/25/2013 8:41:36 PM
I would love to put this app on my Mac computer....

Wm Collins
1/25/2013 6:20:54 PM
App for droid please. I will buy

Orville Smith
1/11/2013 2:16:51 PM
What BS! I have an Android tablet, and there are thousands of great apps available. Check the Amazon app store, Google playschool, Samsung app store and many others fore great apps on any subjects.

Kristin Martensen
1/6/2013 5:01:00 PM
I too would love something like this but unlike most in my generation, I choose not to have an i-device.

Eric Douglas
12/29/2012 4:50:14 AM
try BlueStack.com to run Android apps on a computer

Mary Wilson
12/28/2012 3:56:27 PM
Could you please create an app for Windows 8?

Rita Caffey
12/21/2012 8:46:54 PM
what do you do if you don't have an iphone , just a home computer.

Bryan LeGare
12/18/2012 3:35:28 AM
If it's any consolation, the apps they DO have that are Android compatible are pretty lame; so you're probably not missing much.

Melissa Burton