Organic Gardening

Get dirty, have fun and grow more food with great gardening tips from real-life gardeners.

Good Reasons to Garden

10/18/2010 10:30:01 AM

Tags: gardening philosophy, self-sufficiency, reader polls

There are plenty of great reasons to grow a food garden: warm, sunny days of digging in the dirt, the satisfaction that comes from seeing your crops thrive, the taste of a homegrown tomato.

Picking a tomato

We recently polled our readers to find out their primary reason for gardening, and it turns out that self-sufficiency reigns. Not far behind was the reason that gardening simply brings joy to people’s lives. Cheers to that! Here are the full results of our survey:

What’s your primary reason for gardening?

To achieve greater self-sufficiency   395   (47.76%)
Simply for the joy it brings   271   (32.77%)
To be more environmentally sustainable   77   (9.31%)
To save money   66   (7.98%)
The community or family aspect   13   (1.57%)
To sell at market   5   (0.6%)

We’d love to hear more about your gardening philosophy and the main reasons you grow food. Please post a comment below. And happy gardening, everyone!

Shelley Stonebrook is MOTHER EARTH NEWS magazine’s main gardening editor. She’s passionate about growing healthy, sustainable food and taking care of our environment. Follow her on Twitter, Pinterest and .

Photo by iStockphoto/cjp

William_53
10/29/2010 11:56:43 PM
We live in a world where anything can happen, so being self reliant is first, saving money is then the next thing on the list as the price of food is going up by the day.

RThomison
10/20/2010 7:53:45 PM
Don't like store bought food as much. Have an awesome time with my wife and grandchildren. Worry about the healthiness of GMO's packaged in containers with plastics....yes every thing, cans, paper wrappers all are plastic coated. Also the saving money issue, we pay enough sales tax that we literally have to buy the equivalent of 13 months worth of food every year if we buy it. Celebrations, like spring and fall time things mean a lot more. last but not least, it beats sitting around all the time.

joanna
10/19/2010 11:03:16 AM
I garden because it brings me so much joy. I'm at peace when I"m working in the garden or doing things that have to do with gardening ( ie feeding our red wigglers) and I love to feed people. My heart is happy when I know i'm participating in the larger circle of life

Mandie_3
10/19/2010 9:35:43 AM
For me it is all about the peace of mind. I want to know that I can feed my family no matter what happens. Mostly it is a learning experience for me. If I take the time now to learn then it won't be a problem later. The saving money part is just an added bonus.

Rob
10/19/2010 9:33:20 AM
We are a family of health conscience vegetarians and it is important to us to have healthy, organic, nutritious foods. We try to grow as much of our own food as possible to be self-sufficient. What we can't grow we buy from local organic farms. This year we built mini greenhouses to grow a winter garden to have fresh greens, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and kale all winter long!

Pay Now & Save 67% Off the Cover Price