Organic Gardening

Get dirty, have fun and grow more food with great gardening tips from real-life gardeners.

Earn a Trowel for Your Garden Tips!

7/11/2008 10:46:09 AM

Tags: garden tips, contests, ergonomic garden trowel, reader callouts

Ergonomic Trowel

Do you have a tip you’d like to share with the Mother Earth News audience? Write it up, send it in, and you could win a free deluxe garden trowel! Just e-mail your tip to letters@MotherEarthNews.com with the subject line "Trowels for Tips" (and please include your mailing address).

If we publish your gardening tip here, we’ll send you this lightweight, ergonomically designed Natural Radius Grip (NRG) garden trowel. Its innovative design allows you to use maximum power with minimum strain on your muscles. Learn more about the trowel here.

10 Tips for a Tiny Balcony

Think your balcony's too tiny to provide food and fun? Check out Apartment Therapy's great tips for ...

Tractor Supply Company Welcomes Jonsered to Its Line-Up

Agreement makes Tractor Supply the exclusive national retailer of Jonsered.

Reader Callout: Submit Your Kitchen Tips

Readers share kitchen tips, such as ways to save time and money.

Thinking About Starting a Garden? Jump Right In!

Catch the gardening bug, and start to grow your own food! Once you start, you’ll love it. Here are s...

James_106
4/14/2010 9:00:12 AM
Put your used dish soap water in a small or large spray bottle. Spray the used soapdish on plants to kill insects and it is good for the plants also. You can save used coffee grinds and scatter it around the plants and water it gently around the plants and it helps the plants grow better. Have a nice day!

Jerry_2
8/1/2008 2:15:44 PM
Easy way to store and maintain the trowel, hedge clippers or most garden tools. 1. Get a 5 gallon bucket like those sold at one of the big box stores. 2 Fill the bucket full of sand. Most any sand is okay. 3. Take that used oil from your tractor or lawn mower and pour into the bucket. 4. Push your garden tools into the oily sand and leave them stored there. The oily sand will keep then from getting rusty and the sand cleans them as you push them into the sand. You always know where they are at.

Christina_1
7/23/2008 7:05:55 PM
Got Slugs? If you live near any oyster rich waterways and gather oysters, save the shells...(if allowed)...and place in your flower and vegetable beds. Slugs don't like crawling over them because the outside of the shells are sharp and gnarly, unlike most shell fish like clams whose outer shells are smooth. I place a circle of them around the most slug attractive plants and they do double duty as a mulch.

C Kington
7/21/2008 11:09:24 AM
I shred all my junk mail and newspapers (using a $12 shredder from Wal-Mart). I use this material as beeding in my dog houses. (You could use it as bedding anywhere, chicken nests, etc) After it has done it's duty as animal bedding I then spread it on the ground for mulch or compost pile. The junk mail now does double duty.

Sandra Hays_1
7/20/2008 6:34:33 AM
When canning your tomatoes, create 2 products from the same batch of tomatoes! I peel my large tomatoes and use the "insides" for salsa or dehydrating, and boil the peelings down for juice / sauce. The smaller tomatoes I briefly dip in hot water, then into ice water and slip the skins off, and do the same thing - "insides" for salsa and skins for juice. After boiling down the skins run thru a food mill and separate the skins & seeds for the compost. I usually get equal amounts of salsa and juice when using this method, and very little waste.

JUDY_1
7/18/2008 4:14:38 PM
To help balance my compost bin in summer and to keep the brown matter up in my worm bin, I shred newspaper in my document shredder. I dump this into my compost and worm bins. It breaks down so much faster than strips of newspaper and is lighter to handle when turning the compost.

Debbie_2
7/18/2008 1:05:19 PM
Pots can be expensive so I recycle large metal coffee cans and fruit cans from friends and the recycle stations here in Virginia and spray paint them either red, blue and yellow. I plant flowers and veggies in them. I use a drill to drill holes in the bottom for drainage. They look so colorful in my garden and they make great gifts for my friends when I put a basil plant in them when I over plant seeds :)