Organic Gardening

Get dirty, have fun and grow more food with great gardening tips from real-life gardeners.

What New Fruit or Vegetable Variety are You Most Excited About Growing This Year?

2/10/2010 4:05:16 PM

Tags: seeds, varieties

In most parts of the country, all we can do with our garden right now is dream about it. But many seed companies have already released information about the new varieties of fruits and veggies they'll be offering this year. Or maybe you just got your hands of some fantastic heirloom seeds from a neighbor or relative? Is there a variety of fruit or veggie that you plan to try growing this year that you've never tried before? Which one are you most excited about and why? Please share with our readers in the comments section below.

Landrace Gardening: Localize Your Garden For a Better Harvest

Joseph Lofthouse, seedsman from Paradise Utah, is now blogging about “Landrace Gardening” on Mother...

A Fun New Way to Decide Which Tomatoes to Grow

Tap the Tomato Chooser app for info on 333 tomato varieties, plus help deciding which tomatoes to gr...

Survival Seed Banks, Part 2: Types and Qualities of Seeds to Include

A landrace market farmer’s perspective on survival seed banks. Part Two – Suggestions about the type...

Welcome Spring to Your Homestead

Yes, spring is finally here. Time to start farming.

Keri Cady_1
3/4/2010 1:31:14 PM
Jake I don't know where you are located but I live in Central Florida and growing greens are the easiest. You can buy plants or grow by seeds. I find they are hardy. I grow them either on my north or south side. Just fertilize and water and watch them grow. I just pick the leaves as I need them not the whole plant and they regrow quickly. I am growing pumpkin and winter squash this year.

Kathleen_23
3/1/2010 1:49:42 PM
The Pink Blueberry!!!

regina_5
2/18/2010 11:30:40 AM
Chufas. I found a book stating what vegies Colonial Americans grew in their gardens and had to "google" what Chufas are. Apparently they are a ground nut/tuber that the Spanish use to make a coconut tasting drink called Horache (that I've enjoyed at Mexican restaraunts). It took some searching but I found that they are used for snacks as well and are primarily grown today to feed wildlife (turkeys, racoons, etc.) I bought some seed tubers and I'm trying them in both pots, beds, and in the chicken run. Other than for wildlife, I haven't seen them in any seed catalogue, but hey, I think it might be fun and the chickens might like them too.

Janet Gardner_4
2/17/2010 4:19:26 PM
Just learned that the North Carolina State University has developed a tomato hybrid specifically for the western North Carolina Mountains. Last year our entire tomato crop sucumbed to late blight. As an organic home grower as well as project coordinator to our local community garden, I plan to plant about 100 of these seeds to grow transplants for my own and our community garden.

Jake_14
2/16/2010 11:36:47 AM
This year I plan on growing kale, mustard, and collard greens, all of wich are new to me. I've always loved greens but never grew them until now. I somewhat scared about growing them since I've had 0 experience with any kind of greens. Does anyone have any tips?

Russell Meyers
2/16/2010 12:05:20 AM
I have a long list of things I'm planting. Most of which you can probably say are new for me. Last year was the first time I've tried gardening. Due to soil conditions, desert weather and naivete on many subjects, effectively nothing grew. This year, some things I'm most excited about are lots of tomato plant, green beans, cucumbers and watermelon. That really only begins my list but those are some things I look forward to. It's taken a lot of work but it seems like my yard will actually support a garden this year!

Heather_40
2/15/2010 8:01:18 PM
Last year I did shallots, potatoes and garlic. They were so easy and useful they will always be in my garden! This year I got really crazy. I am trying goji berries, red roselle, black futsu melons, kiwi, hawthorne, wild plums from seed, elderberry and black currants. And I even found a variety of rice that grows in regular garden soil. My latest experiments also include a wide array of grains. Hurry up SPRING!! Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) and Bountiful Gardens are two of the best catalogs for the adventurous gardener!

Sue_36
2/14/2010 9:58:01 AM
I'm trying African horned melons this year. They're little ones that can grow on a trellis and I have extra trellis spasce this year. Also, precocious hazelnut shrubs and two pawpaw trees. I'm growing sunflowers for seed for the first time, too.

Norma _2
2/14/2010 7:37:20 AM
We ordered a couple of kiwi plants this year, and I'm adding strawberries and celery and artichokes to my garden. I haven't gotten fantastically excited about my other crops yet because the heirloom seed catalogs I ordered still haven't arrived, argh!! We are planning to plant a three sisters garden this year to see if it improves my luck growing corn. I sure hope so. I started two flats of tomatoes yesterday, whoohoo! Brandywine and beefsteak, my faves.

jdemny_3
2/13/2010 11:32:21 AM
Green Zebra tomatoes. I hear they are delicious.

turtledawn
2/13/2010 11:04:38 AM
I'm going to try growing artichokes, just for the heck of it. I've got some seeds from an Italian heirloom variety called Violetta di Chioggia and it's supposed to be able to overwinter here in zone 6. We'll see.

susan_71
2/13/2010 8:58:27 AM
I am looking forward to growing a number of Stevia plants. I grew one last year and it did well. I dry the leaves. It is also supposed to repell pests in the garden. I hope I don't have a problem finding the plants. I hear it is difficult to grow from seed.

Krissy
2/12/2010 7:05:39 PM
Culantro. Its the carribean cilantro. So flavorful and grows superfast. I am also going to grow some sweet peppers I am going to put them to the test and make my own sofrito, its a base used in puerto rican cooking.

Laurie_22
2/12/2010 3:31:19 PM
I've never grown sweet potatoes here in my 3b zone, and I LOVE sweet potatoes. Recently found out that the greens are edible, so that's another reason to love 'em! I've ordered Beauregard, which are supposed to be especially good for my zone. Wish me luck -- and good luck to everyone in '10.

Glenda Spencer_2
2/12/2010 3:28:07 PM
I'm going to try growing sunberries this year. They're a little larger than a pea and are supposed to taste like an exceptionally good blueberry. They are a small anual plant. The packet,also,gives instructions for saving the seed.I'll start them inside about the middle of March.

Jena_1
2/12/2010 3:19:54 PM
Lemon Stuffer Tomatoes! I planted one plant last spring and intend to plant several this spring. I was previously unfamiliar with them but they're hollow inside like a pepper. We stuffed them with leftover lasagna, other vegetables growing in our garden, etc. They have amazing flavor and a beautiful yellow color.

Heather Hettick_2
2/12/2010 10:59:32 AM
My favorite overall things to grow are legumes and garlic. I'm trying Chinese pink in 2010. I wanted to try it because it's supposed to be super early. The cloves were definitly a shiny pink color and they sprouted out of the ground pretty fast last fall, but are under snow now. I'm trying two new legumes - one for eating and one for my sheep. I bought Mooncake Edamame seeds to try. They get really tall. I've been wanting the try them for a while since I saw them at a test plot. I love edamame and have two other varieties, but I often miss picking them on time. I"m hoping if the plant is really tall, I'll have less trouble seeing them when they are ready. The other legume I'm trying is Sainfoin or holy clover (remont is the variety). I'm growing this more to see if I can and if it does well to feed some to my sheep. It's a non-bloating legume, which is supposed to have some anti parasite effect when eaten by ruminants. It also has a pretty pink flower and with it's legume properties should help to improve my garden soil as a cover crop.

hazel Watson_2
2/12/2010 10:11:43 AM
I'm going to try the yard long purple beans (Hi, Anna!) and, because I don't often plant flowers, this year I'm going to try some giant zinnias and 3 kinds of sunflowers. I'm growing tomatoes again, but this year they'll be in 2ft x 4ft raised beds complete with 5 ft trellises. In the past, they've outgrown towers and then sprawled everywhere so that I've had to cut them back considerably. I'm hoping that with the trellises, they can grow up, across, then back down. I've got all the lumber cut, but now I'm waiting for the garage to be warm enough to drill holes and screw the pieces together with deck screws. The frames for the trellises are completed, but I can't string them until they're set up.

Anna_26
2/12/2010 9:41:02 AM
We like the Purple yard long beans because you don't have to pick as many for a meal, but they were good producers. We picked up a Long Island Cheese pumpkin last year and it was delicious, so we've added it to our list. And we always look forward to tons of eggplant! It may not be new to us, but not many people in our area like it or know what to do with it. It is my absolute favorite fresh out of the garden sliced and coated with olive oil and a little seasoning then roasted or grilled. Stack 'em up on a bun with a big roasted portobello cap and parmesan cheese!! My mouth waters every time I think about it!

stefan mattlage_2
2/12/2010 9:28:43 AM
We are going to try cranberries this year. They do not require "bogs" to grow and they love acidic soil. We certainly have that up here in NH

Amy_41
2/11/2010 3:28:55 PM
I have planted California Huckleberry (Vaccinium ovatum) for the first time. Huckleberries are similar to blueberries in taste; in shade they grow up to 10 feet high and wide. I'm in zone 9b and one side of my lot is a steep slope with pines planted on the top. I have been searching for a plant that would 1) provide some privacy below the pines, forming a hedge 2) be attractive in all seasons and preferably native 3) provide fruit 4) provide for wildlife 5)(Most important!) actually grow in this unfriendly environment! California huckleberries promise to do all this. I am very excited. The only downside is that they will need watering. I will use graywater but will have to bring the buckets of water over by hand. Well, that will give me some exercise!

Nim
2/11/2010 2:18:43 PM
Pomegranates!! I never saw these for sale in nurseries, but then my mom ended up with a couple sprouting from her compost. They're so delicious and always pricey at the store, so I'm very excited to have them in my own dirt!

Jared Barnhart
2/11/2010 7:55:20 AM
We ordered some Honeyberry plants and also some Frontenac grape vines. Living in North Dakota, we are always excited to try out cold hardy fruits.