Organic Gardening

Get dirty, have fun and grow more food with great gardening tips from real-life gardeners.

How to Smoke Your Own Chipotle Peppers

9/22/2009 8:26:59 AM

Tags: peppers, chipotles, drying food, food storage, biochar

SmokedPeppersBP
A chipotle pepper is a jalapeno that has been smoked, a food preservation method as old as agriculture itself. With a bumper crop of jalapenos, pimentos and roasting peppers in need of attention, I smoked two batches of peppers in my biochar trench, with wonderful results. Here’s my report.

The Site

Last fall, I dug a 1.5-by-8 foot trench in an area that had been overrun with perennial weeds. During the winter, I partially burned two small mountains of brambles and other hard-to-compost woody materials. This summer, I grew a successful crop of winter squash in the refilled trench, and reopened it for my pepper smoking project in mid-September. Some folks disapprove of all open burning, but I think most rural homesteads need a safe place to burn stuff from time to time. At our house, we’re experimenting with filling this need with a thoughtfully managed and monitored biochar trench. The terra preta soils of the Amazon, upon which the concept of biochar is based, were created over many centuries of successive smoulderings, so I am curious as to the long-term effects of fire in the hole.

BiocharTrenchBP

The Fire

You can smoke peppers in a covered grill or smoker, but we don’t eat much meat so I have neither.  Smoking peppers calls for a cool fire that flavors and dries the peppers (as opposed to cooking them), so I built a small fire in the middle of the trench, and placed pairs of bricks covered with aluminum foil (for cleanliness) at both ends to hold my trays of peppers. I used apple wood saved from pruning, but you can also use hickory, mesquite, or other aromatic woods.

Once the wood was burning well, I partially snuffed the fire with soil, placed the trays of prepared peppers (see below) on the bricks, and covered the trench with a piece of metal roofing. An hour or so later, when I saw only faint wisps of smoke coming from the trench, I restarted the fire with fresh dry twigs and a little more wood. My peppers got a total of three hours of smoking time.

JalapenoSmokingBP

The Peppers

In my first batch, I smoked large strips of jalapeno, roasting and pimento peppers on heat-proof roasting pans. There was no need to oil the pans (the peppers didn’t stick), but I did cover the peppers loosely with aluminum foil. This was mostly to shield them from scattered dirt as I moved the metal cover on and off. It would not be necessary in a smoker or grill.

After smoking for three hours, I continued the drying process in my food dehydrator. The big pieces curled so much that uniform drying was going to take a long time, and I didn’t want to lose smoke flavor from prolonged drying. Besides, the half-dried sweet and sweet/hot peppers tasted like mouthwatering veggie bacon, so I stopped at the half-dry chewy stage and stashed the peppers in the freezer. For my second batch, I cut jalapenos into rings one-third-inch thick. The rings seemed to absorb more smoke flavor than the strips, and they dried faster, too. Within a few hours, the chipotle rings were ready for cool storage in glass jars.

The Drying Process

Finishing off smoked peppers in your dehydrator is a very aromatic process best done outdoors. And please be advised: The smoke smell will linger in your dehydrator, even if you give it a good cleaning as soon as you are done.  The campfire fragrance will wane after a few days, but why fight it? The batch of spiced apples I dried after the smoked peppers filled the house with the combined aromas of cinnamon and barbecue — of the most delicious aromas of the food preservation season.

Contributing editor Barbara Pleasant gardens in southwest Virginia, where she grows vegetables, herbs, fruits, flowers and a few lucky chickens. Contact Barbara by visiting her website or finding her on .

New Biochar Stoves at the 2009 ETHOS Conference

Check out these small stoves for cooking, heat and making biochar!

Frye Poultry Manure Gasifier

Poultry producer turns manure into propane substitute with biochar as a byproduct.

Salmonella Outbreak Moves to Hot Peppers

Have you kept up with the recent salmonella outbreak in tomatoes? According to the Centers for Disea...

Bee Calm

It pays to be calm when working bees, but it takes practice and experiece to get there. Here is an e...

Carol Vichinsky
9/17/2010 11:29:07 AM
Was interested in gettin an adobe sauce recipe for the chipolte peppers. And any information on canning both. I have a garden full of peppers that need atending to before the good old Michigan frost hits us.

monalisa_4
3/7/2010 11:48:10 PM
I'm very interested in this type of pepper. Recently purchased a cookbook that includes many recipes calling for varying amounts of this pepper. They primarily call for and use a canned variety (with some advice on how to "judiciously" use it according to taste.) Don't have a garden area (yet!) and was born without the BBQ gene, and the only smoker I've ever seen fit a very large turkey (gulp!), so some (further) instructions on the "smoke/broiling" technique would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have a recipe for the "spicy vinegary tomato sauce" a.k.a "adobo sauce" they are canned in (with canning directions!!)? I'm sure a little can go a long way and sharing the "extras" would be great! Thanks for your time and hope you can help!

bob clifton_3
9/30/2009 4:55:45 PM
I've chiplote'd jalapenos under a broiler. But of course, ya gotta watch them so the don't char too badly.

Kathy_3
9/25/2009 10:15:41 AM
What a great idea. Remember to wear gloves though when you are handling the raw peppers before processing. That pepper juice can really create burning hands. Ask me how I know! Kathy

Shelly Campbell-Harley
9/24/2009 5:35:35 PM
I always enjoy reading the various articles in this magazine and the blogs from the different contributors. There is so much good information out there! I love learning about better ways to live sustainably, wisely, and back-to-nature. I have written on a few similiar topics as well on my blog: naturallyshelly.blogspot.com. I hope you will also visit and share some ideas with me! I'm looking forward to trying your peppers idea! Thanks. Shelly