Learn how to use natural, organic gardening methods to grow the freshest food in your own garden.
Best Gardening Tools and Resources
- Vegetable Garden Planner
- Grow Planner App
- When to Plant App
- Crop-by-Crop Growing Guides
- Garden Know-How Collection
- Garden Seed and Plant Finder
All About Growing ...
Best Grow Light for Starting Seeds
One of the most comforting sensations is walking into your home and smelling the delicious aroma of homemade bread in the oven. Whether it's being made on a cold winter day to dunk in your soup, or during the summer for those refreshing sandwiches at lunchtime, homemade breads of all types and varieties offer something everyone should enjoy. Grit Guide to Homemade Bread, 7th Edition provides more than 107 keys to successfully making bread, from sourdough bread to gluten-fee, from bagels to tortillas and more. With 76 recipes inside this 100-page guide, you and your whole family can enjoy the benefits of homemade bread.
Discover five reasons why your bread dough doesn’t rise and how to avoid this frustrating obstacle to baking great bread. Read the guide to whole-grain baking and use 10 baking techniques without fear of ruining your favorite recipes. Try giving your dry, brittle bread new life with some fresh new recipes. Learn how to use an earth oven; once you’ve tasted bread baked in the old-world structure, you’ll never go back to baking in the kitchen oven.
More articles include:
- How to Make Homemade Flour – Fresh, homemade flour is less expensive, more nutritious, and more flavorful than store-bought flour.
- Salute to Sourdough – Cook up some hearty and delicious pioneer fare in your kitchen.
- Creating a Food Business on the Homestead – Take your kitchen skills, add a great recipe and fresh ingredients, and combine for a great way to make yourself an income opportunity.
- Cornmeal to Cornbread – A chunk of this savory yet sweet concoction makes for a meal all by itself.
- Flatbread Fiesta! – Whether you call it tortilla, naan, matzo, or cracker, there’s a version in every culture.
This digital product contains content published in the year 2013 and is provided in the EPUB format. Once the item is purchased you will receive access to the downloadable file on the order confirmation page. There are dozens of options for viewing the content. Click here for more information and details on how to read EPUB files. In order to view this product you will need e-book reader software. If you do not have e-book reader software we recommend Adobe Digital Editions.
The MOTHER EARTH NEWS Digital Archive is available for download by individual year and features everything published from each issue of the magazine as well as content that appeared exclusively online. From articles on working the land, raising livestock and home energy improvements to information on garden planning, DIY projects and healthy, wholesome recipes - you'll find it all!
You can also access the complete EPUB Digital Archive by ordering the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Archive 1970-2013: Multiplatform Edition on DVD-ROM.
Ball Home Canning Products are the gold standard in home preserving supplies, the trademark jars on display in stores every summer from coast to coast. Now the experts at Ball have written a book destined to become the bible of home preserving.
As nutrition and food quality has become more important, home canning and preserving have increased in popularity for the benefits they offer:
- Cooks gain control of the ingredients, including organic fruits and vegetables
- Preserving foods at their freshest point locks in nutrition
- The final product is free of chemical additives and preservatives
- Store-bought brands cannot match the wonderful flavor of homemade
- Only a few hours are needed to put up a batch of jam or relish
- Home preserves make a great personal gift any time of year
These 400 innovative and enticing recipes include everything from salsas and savory sauces to pickling, chutneys, relishes and, of course, jams, jellies, and fruit spreads, such as:
- Mango-Raspberry Jam, Damson Plum Jam
- Crab Apple Jelly, Green Pepper Jelly
- Spiced Red Cabbage, Pickled Asparagus
- Roasted Red Pepper Spread, Tomatillo Salsa
- Brandied Apple Rings, Apricot-Date Chutney
The book includes comprehensive directions on safe canning and preserving methods plus lists of required equipment and utensils. Specific instructions for first-timers and handy tips for the experienced make the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving a valuable addition to any kitchen library.
About the authors: Judi Kingry and Lauren Devine have between them 20 years of experience in the preserving industry. They are both employed by Jarden Home Brands.
More than 20 projects offer complete plans and instructions for building a wide range of structures that are designed for adaptability and usefulness. You'll learn the step-by-step fundamentals of general construction — from planning and laying out a site to do-it-yourself framing, roofing, wiring, plumbing, and much more. Some of the projects featured include:
- All-purpose barns
- Equipment or machine shed
- Two-car garage
- Roadside stand
- Insulated dog house
- Home office
Monte Burch has worked as a contractor, an editor, and freelance writer and photographer. He is the author of more than 50 books, including Building Small Farms, Sheds and Shelters, and has written numerous articles for various outdoor and how-to publications. With his wife, Joan, he owns and operates Outdoor World Press, Inc., a book publishing house.