Step Forward Paper is a new type of paper made mostly from wheat straw (80 percent to be exact) with the remaining 20 percent made of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood fiber. And Step Forward just got its biggest client: Staples in Canada. (That was easy!)
Guess who is helping Step Forward Paper? Woody Harrelson! You know Cheers, Natural Born Killers and countless other great movies. I had the privilege to interview him about this private venture. He said there is just so much of this leftover straw that it’s senseless not to do something.
Don’t worry U.S., Woody and Step Forward Paper comes in 2013!
“Straw-based copy paper is a great example of an innovative product that uses a byproduct from one industry and transforms it into a solution for others,” says James Tansey, CEO and founder of Offsetters. “Offsetters is pleased to recommend Step Forward Paper as a sustainable choice for businesses and consumers looking to reduce the environmental impacts associated with paper use.”
“It’s always been a big concern of mine that paper comes from forests,” says Woody Harrelson, a co-founder and investor in Prairie Pulp & Paper Inc. The two-time Academy Award nominee and longtime environmental advocate, who received an honorary doctorate from York University for his environmental work, said, “Step Forward Paper is a real plus for the forest, and it’s a real plus for the farmers, and it’s going to be great for our future.”
Best Part of All
Offsetters, Canada's leading carbon management solutions provider, released a research report that concludes that Step Forward Paper is one of the most environmentally sustainable paper types currently available in North America. When using weighted ranking system for environmental indicators that places greater importance on climate change, Step Forward Paper is the best-performing copy paper type studied, with the lowest overall environmental impact.
See the Life Cycle Study.
For the entire story on my site at The Green Living Guy, please click here.