Nature and Environment

Because at 160,000 years, the party is just getting started.

What Non-food Items Do You Buy Organic?

7/2/2009 9:36:25 AM

Tags: organic products, organic, question to readers

USDA sealOrganic clearly isn't limited to food anymore — you can find organic makeup, skincare products, toys, clothing, mattresses, furniture and much more. But most of us pick and choose what to buy organic, often because of cost and because we think it's more important to choose organic with certain items. We want to know, what do you buy organic and why?

Simple, Homemade Face Mask Recipes

Treat your skin with one of these easy, inexpensive skincare recipes.

NEW Scientific Organics: Organic natural skincare with advanced anti-aging results

emerginC, a leading professional skincare collection, has just launched a natural yet serious result...

Chocolates of Choice: Organic, Fair Trade, and Delicious!

Know a chocolate-lover? Here's info on a few of the most delicious chocolate bars, from companies t...

Sun Powers More Than Rice Fields

Lundberg Family Farms announces the opening of a new warehouse that is powered by 100% solar energy....

RSS

britt johansen
4/12/2012 7:37:49 AM
organic tampons. i truly thought it was weird at first, but it dawned on me that our fabrics and linins are saturated with anti fugicieds and anti wetting agents. something that is so intimate with my body should be free of that stuff.

Cindy Wenger
3/28/2011 8:58:03 PM
If your looking for 100% USDA Certified Organic pet products please visit www.HerbsForYourPets.com

nicki-lee tompkins
10/11/2010 5:06:24 PM
Besides our food, we buy dog food and treats that are raw/organic freeze-dried, cleaning supplies by Seventh Generation, skin care from Aubreyorganics, shower soap from Noah's Naturals.

Ozarkhomesteader
9/17/2010 9:55:23 PM
We buy organic pet food, toiletries, skin care, cotton when possible, gardening supplies--you name it. I've found with the pet food that since it's mostly meat, our cats eat a lot less (and therefore it's actually cheaper for us than "cheap" store food). I avoid buying things that aren't organic. Since we grow so much ourselves, I can afford to buy organic.

SH
7/28/2009 10:59:01 AM
Natural and Organic soap products are the way to go, as one of the other readers said, our skin is the first defense on everything, a natural defense against harmful chemicals. We use natural and organic soaps, salts etc. We order on line from a company called TheOrganicSoapCompany, their soaps are 85% certified organic and the salts have come from all over the place. Our kids like it as well.

yvette_1
7/13/2009 7:13:55 PM
I buy organic soaps. Our biggest organ is our skin and everyhting it is exposed to affects us. I also love organic coffee, it has such a smooth flavor, no bitterness. Spices, so much more flavor. Organic vitamins do not upset my stomach. I read alot and have come to rely on Mother Earth News and Grit as reliable sources of information for just about everything! My only regret is that organic products are rather pricey, but I have noticed a trend cathcing on-the big chain stores are starting to carry organic products that are more affordable than going to Whole Foods, but I am not giving that up. Whole Foods is an experience all its own. Try buying "Mutts" clothing-it is organic, usually pajama's, oh so comfy, and pet friendly. I am trying to "greener" these days and growing more of my own food and hoping to raise chickens. I have also noticed people claiming thier products are organic when they don't really know what organic means.

Jacqueline Jakle
7/8/2009 3:33:01 PM
Also, if my garden isn't providing me with many roses...I found two sources where I can purchase flowers that are organically grown, not sprayed. Regular markets sell flowers sprayed with pesticides and there should be a warning label to wash hands throroughly after handling the flowers! Mothers Market and Whole Foods Market sells an assortment of flowers and plants, and has signs posted that the products are organic, or conventionally grown. :-)

Jacqueline Jakle
7/8/2009 3:30:12 PM
Coffee beans, wine, personal care products, laundry and household cleaning products, cosmetics, hair care products, dog food, veggie seeds, clothing when I can find it. If I can't find my "regular" certified organic products, I have a suitable backup that is as natural as possible and doesn't contain phosphates, petroleum, SLS, and is cruelty-free. I learned a long time ago to make sure products are "certified organic" - not just organic. I've found beautiful cloth shoes to wear with my work suits, and handbags are cloth or microfiber. They are a bit more expensive, but the quality is worth the price; and I can make them last for years. I'm still researching alternative sources for shoes and handbags, and clothing. Seems the clothing that is the easiest to find so far are socks, and some casual style vegan shoes at Whole Foods...and there are tops or shirts available, but costly. I look online for other organic clothing companies. I only purchase kitchen products from Italy, Portugal, France, US, nothing from China...and I use stainless steel and glass food containers that are eco-friendly. The search for the best eco-friendly (haven't found organic yet) office supplies is ongoing. I purchase recycled and hemp-based products when possible.

scarecrowsc
7/7/2009 4:50:51 PM
Vegetable seeds, shampoo,conditioner,toothpaste, body wash, shoes, clothes, cleaning and laundry products, pet food, garden fertilier, makeup and chicken feed. We now grow as much of our own foods as possible. I come from a small town and everyone I talk to has thyroid problems or cancer. Something that was unheard of thirty years ago. Unfortunately, the things I do have to purchase are not all in the same place. So I spend a lot of time and money traveling a vast area to shop for the things I need. We also recycle old things by finding new uses for them. Living on a farm makes this easy to do.

Fran Tracy
7/6/2009 9:30:57 PM
Most of what I buy is organic. I also grow my garden orgnicly. I got some guineas last spring and I have not had any problem with pests in the garden all year. They just cover the whole 3 acres picking up the small insects and if they miss a fireant hill, I just throw some scratch feed on top of it and they eliminate all the ants within a week. Other years I would have had to spend $20 to $30 on fire ant killer alone. it is more than just buying organic, it is embracing practices that eliminate the need or chemicals altogether.

Laura Herr
7/6/2009 8:25:49 PM
Soap, shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizers.

Becka Schexnayder
7/6/2009 4:35:28 PM
I use vinegar to rinse my hair...makes my hair soft. Buy apple cider vinegar for indigestion and stiff joint areas. Also use apple cider vinegar in dogs' waterbowl to get rid of fles. Pick honeysuckle leaves and flowers to dry for an herb tea. Using honeysuckle cuts down in buying green/black tea or herb tea. Quit dranking coffee and only use coffee when vistors wants a cup. Trade vigges from my garden for eggs from the neighbor. When we buy clothing..cotton for the summer wear. Buy local seeds from the feed store and we get more seeds for our money. What's comes out of the garden I save the seeds for next year planting.

Lisa_71
7/6/2009 12:01:59 PM
My whole family uses organic toiletries (shampoo, toothpaste, soap, shaving cream, mosturizer). I also buy organic cotton products whenever available.

tammy_21
7/6/2009 11:50:09 AM
Everything that I can is organic - I have an autoimmune disease so everything to do with the is important. Autoimmune is on the rise - thousand of more cases then cancer - and they think it may be environmental. By buying organic (and where we spend our dollar is our only real power) we are cutting down on the use of the poisons that are killing us, both in our homes and destroying our planet a little at a time. 30 years ago I only knew of one person with autoimmune, lupus, now everyone I meet either has one or has a family member with one (MS, Lupus, Crohn's, Vasculitis, Hashimoto, Addison's, etc.) The best way to keep the chemical's out of your lungs is buy organic.

Shell_2
7/6/2009 11:28:23 AM
Myself and my entire family use organic personal care products...our lotions, my make-up, the body washes, facial creams, hairspray, soap, shampoo, conditioner etc...are all organic...if I cannot get/find organic, then I go for the all natural chemical free versions. I use www.vitacost.com for almost all of my families personal care products, as it is difficult to find a one-stop shop that has good prices and this way I am not aimlessly driving all over town from one store to the next to find what I need, with the price tag I can afford. I reach for organics mainly because the farming practices are better for our planet, but also by doing so...I know that I am not slathering a bunch of chemicals onto my skin daily that are ultimately absorbed into my body.

SR Davis
7/6/2009 11:04:56 AM
Non-food items I purchase organic are: wines, bed linens, some clothing(when I can afford it), shampoo, conditioner, and other personal hygiene products. I also only purchase organic seeds for my garden. If I am unable to purchase organic, I try to purchase only natural, chemical free products or recycled things. However, I try to limit my purchases to things I NEED or can't make myself.

Laurie Faivre Nigro
7/6/2009 10:49:26 AM
I try to balance my organic purchases with my budget, weighing my choices by what's most important to buy organically. I always buy coffee and most cotton, as well as cosmetics and feminine hygiene products.

ccm989
7/6/2009 9:46:20 AM
I buy lots of garden products that claim to be "organic" like I bought Miracle Grows "organic" garden soil and potting soil. Not sure if anything called Miracle Grow can really be organic. I bought Safer insectidial soap -- is it actually safer, don't know. Bought various organic fertilizers like blood meal and bone meal. Also bought a deer repellent that was organic -- smelled like oregano -- and it did keep the deer away from my phlox but the smell made me want to eat pizza!

Cyndi_3
7/6/2009 9:40:13 AM
Shampoo, conditioner, wine, and some clothing are organic. Most other products are non-petroleum based, natural ingredients, or recycled.

Bonnie Williams
7/6/2009 8:50:34 AM
I buy organic pet food, shaving cream, soap, and yarn.

MY COMMUNITY