Life In The Water

Do you ever get that sinking feeling? William Chapin looks back on learning to swim.


Swimming comes more naturally to some than to others.


Content Tools

Long before I knew how to swim I knew how to float—and it's just as well. Wouldn't be here otherwise. I was a Floater Supreme, although I admit that sounds like a weird concoction dreamed up by an old-fashioned soda fountain in the hinterlands of America.

When I was about six months old (I do not, of course, remember this but it became part of oft-repeated Chapin folklore), my dear mother, tired of carrying me, settled me down on a big smooth rock that overlooked a quiet stretch of Otter Creek near Pittsford, Vermont.

While she was contemplating the view, I suddenly started to roll, and rolled right into Otter Creek. I floated downstream quietly and confidently, face up. Apparently unnerved after a minute or so, though, I began to squall, shattering the peaceful summer day. My mother couldn't swim ...not a stroke. Faced with the prospect of a water-logged baby, she showed great presence of mind. She found a long pole, reached out with it, and gently guided me to shore, where she fished me out and dried me off.

The maternal instinct can do anything.

A few years later my dad was lucky enough to get a job in the Tropics, giving me an unbeatable opportunity to learn how to swim. I honed those swimming skills at age eight by going to Pera Beach on the eastern tip of Jamaica. Employing a choppy crawl, I headed straight for the coral reef and kept going until spoilsport grown-ups overtook me and hauled me back, suggesting all the while that if I'd been allowed to swim 10 feet farther the barracudas would have got me.

Ever since, I have had a matchless swimming record, as I will now proceed to demonstrate.

We lived in Jamaica only two years. My father's job didn't last. Back in Vermont, on Bushwillie Farm, I swam in the nearby East Pittsford Dam. We didn't have barracudas. We had perch. I also swam in the Rutland Municipal Pool where

I became what I think was called a "Junior Lifeguard." I do recall that my swimming trunks bore a Red Cross patch, which I flaunted. I was on my way.

Then we moved to Montreal. The family odyssey again. I was 13 and eager to get wet. Montreal West High School had no pool, so I joined the downtown Montreal Athletic Association, which had an excellent pool. I went there, by streetcar, twice a week. The MAA also had Bobby Rose, a pleasant, charitable man who had once coached the Canadian Olympic Swimming Team.

It took Mr. Rose no time at all to recognize my talents, so when the MAA 16-and-under swimming meet was scheduled, he chose me as a participant. The meet was similar to those "annual school plays" attended by scads of doting parents and nobody else.

Mr. Rose put me in the 50-yard sprint. I was in the first of three heats. My mother and father were in the front row. Boy, was I ever stoked! I dived in, churned full-speed ahead, got to the far end, did a flip-turn, looked up, saw all my opponents going in the other direction, halfway home. I finished dead last. I couldn't believe it, and neither could Mr. Rose. He figured it was a temporary lapse, so he put me in the final anyway. He had that kind of power. I finished last in the final. Mr. Rose, with a peculiar look on his face, entered me in the lowboard diving event. There were only three of us—and I finished third.

An hour or so later, my parents and I drove home. The silence was deafening. My mother and father did not subscribe to the Vince Lombardi philosophy of Win-At-All-Costs, but they must have thought that finishing dead last all day long was a bit on the excessive side.

In the fall of 1940 I got my first newspaper job-on the Rutland (Vermont) Herald. Cub reporter and gofer. I used to meet my parents, on occasion, at a house on Lake Bomoseen, 25 miles west of Rutland. It was owned by close family friends, the Landons. On one memorable afternoon I arrived at the house, said hello to my hosts, and walked out on a rickety wooden pier that extended 30 feet into the lake. For some strange reason, I was wearing my good suit that day-a seersucker, along with my best shirt and a tie. A few feet past the end of the pier I found my mother. She was standing up, most of her submerged.

By this time mother had learned how to swim, but she was very tentative. I mean, next to her I was Johnny Weismuller and Matt Biondi rolled into one. She dog-paddled at the rate of approximately 10 feet per hour, and she never ventured into water that was over her head.

My mother said, "Hi:' I said, "Hi." Then she said, "Oh, Bill! Bill! Help!"

I knew what had happened, of course. She had lost contact with terra firma. And I knew what to do. I jumped. At the top of my majestic flight through the air I heard her shout, "It's OK! It's OK! Go back!" She had regained her footing, and, obviously, she thought I could levitate. I crashed into the water right beside her and heard a muffled "sorry."

Now she's sorry. I should have used a long pole.